The Music Listener

Dear you,

It’s funny how often I think of writing to you but rarely do. But I’ve realized that it’s a good thing to write. So that one day when we finally meet, you’ll be able to read all these letters and know how I feel for you in the way I know best. Words.

Today, I want to talk to you about music. We all carry tunes in our hearts for all the experiences that we live through. I do too.
For the longest time, I would always delve deeper into the meaning of the songs I’ve loved. And I didn’t really know why. I was just an intense listener. Today, I think I found out why. It’s probably because these songs are my way of communicating with you even though we haven’t met yet. I think you’re out there somewhere…maybe falling asleep on a bus to work or laughing at a joke you just cracked or smiling because your favourite song just played on the radio. But guess what? I’m listening to that song on the radio too and I love it just as much as you do and I'm smiling in my own way. We’re apart in so many ways. Geographically, mentally, I don’t know what else. But this song is letting us talk. Even if it’s just a smile a few cities/countries/continents away.

You’re having a bad day. You’re down. You feel like you’re right there under rock, hard place and 50 feet of crap. I know. I get it. I’m here humming this song absently. But the universe is a cunning fella. It’s really for you to crack a smile in your world because your neighbour is listening to songs on his phone whilst forgetting to plug in his earphones and it’s the same song that I’m humming. It’s for you to know that it’ll all be okay soon. Hmm? Hmm. :)

I must confess that some songs are part of my history just like some will be part of yours. These songs were sung for someone else. Even today, if I hear them, their memories come to surface. It’s what made me who I am today and it’s what will put me in your path eventually. We’ll talk about these songs because someone’s someone introduced them to us and now it’s just there, playing gently in the background of our lives.

But I’m excited. Just imagine how much fun we’ll have picking our song. I wonder who wrote it. It was probably written by an Englishman in the 50s. Or maybe penned by Gulzarsaab in the 70s. Or maybe it’s a tune that’s yet to form in someone’s heart.
You don’t know so many songs yet. Like which song that makes me dance no matter where I am. Or the song that I’m tossing my shoulders to now. Or the one I’ll listen to on the run tomorrow. Or the one that will stop us in our tracks no matter what we’re doing 50 years down the line. But you know what I love? I love how you don’t know just how inevitably entwined our playlists are yet to be.

Until then keep listening.
Because I’m always singing.

All my love,
Me.