Quirks

Dear you,

Have you ever thought about quirks? You know the ones that make up a person? The ones that make them...them? Of late, I have been thinking about yours. It's funny how I don't know them yet. I know...I don't know you yet. But you know one day, when I do know you, and I do get to know these quirks, they will probably become akin to muscle memory for me. Then every time I spot anything similar, I will automatically think of you. Ah, to think of the number of things yet to get fully coloured by you. Things I will never see the same way again.

I wonder what these quirks are. Maybe it's something silly that a lot of people do that I just don't get. Maybe it's pineapple on pizza or drinking ice-cold water. Or maybe it's how you never get song lyrics right but I'm the queen of Karaoke. But because you hum a particular part of the song, I can't help but hum it too even though I know the words perfectly well.

Maybe it's something totally unique to you. Maybe you make pyramids out of coasters and it always makes me laugh exasperatedly. Maybe your quirks have a little bit of me in them. Maybe you're partial to white shirts because you know it brings out a sparkle in my eyes when I see you wear them. Maybe you look for postcards everywhere you go because I love them so much.

Maybe...Maybe you love black & white photos. Something about them makes you feel like they're timeless. That no matter how old the memory, they feel like they were lived yesterday. Maybe...maybe you love exceptionally long autumnal walks. Maybe you love taking them only with me.

Maybe your desk is neat and mine is messy. Maybe we both have terrible poker faces so we take turns in losing...but only to each other. Maybe every new year's eve, you like to read the last Harry Potter book, with your head in my lap.

Maybe you love coffee and I love tea. But we have one favourite mug. Maybe you have all the letters I ever wrote to you and you know them all by heart. Maybe you know and maybe you don't but you smile a special smile every time I write you a new one.

Right now, to be honest, it's all a big maybe. I know I don't know your quirks yet. But you know what?

I sure have fun trying to guess.

Until the day you know how I sign off,

All my love,

Me