Lanes

Dear you,

Of late, I’ve found lanes rather intriguing. If you think about them, they’re just roads leading from one place to another. A matter of simple geography, really. They aren’t meant to be anything more than that. And yet, somehow they are.

I like how every lane has a wealth of stories. First bike rides, first bike falls, secret phone conversations, brisk morning walks, relaxing evening walks, festivals of every colour, wedding processions, ice-cream runs…Between every sunrise and sunset, every lane has seen a lifetime of lifetimes. They’ve seen the beginning and end of every story…and everything in between.

Think about the number of times you’ve opened up the GPS on your phone and zoomed in and out of lanes. Wait a moment. Now think…What if that one lane that you were pointing at a few moments ago, was where I was taking a slow stroll, looking far into the distance? Just think…Maybe then, you’ll see the magic of lanes like I’ve begun to.

The more I think about them, the more I see it. Each lane leads to another one. Here I am leading my story in my lane. There you are leading yours in yours. But through a series of simple (or maybe complex) directions, these lanes are connected. Maybe a few miles away. Maybe hundreds of miles away. But they are connected. Just like our stories will be, one day.

I like how my lane saw my beginning and your lane saw yours but our lane will see the beginning of our story. A few chapters before maybe, I’m just out on a grocery run and you’re running to catch a cab…a few lanes apart. And then one fine, glorious day, I lose my way. Or you lose yours. And our paths finally meet. Our lane is finally one. And as we see each other, we start to wonder if we were ever really lost in the first place.

Until that day,

All my love,

Me