Patruzecisiunu || Collision

The party went on, but several eyes in the crowd stayed fixed on her. She watched as Bonnie and Evie spoke to Daniel, then Mr. Han. She watched the surprise and dismay on her friend's faces as they connected the dots and figured out she was a traitor.

She looked at Daniel's clear devastation and felt sick.

Victor was pulled into a conversation with some of Alec's acquaintances and was busy charming them.

"Where are you moving to?" Paulo asked softly in Portuguese, snapping her out of it. He must have seen she was alone.

"We haven't decided yet." she replied. As always, she was just along for the ride.

"I have a secret to share," he said mischievously.

She turned her full attention to him and was happy to do it.

"I'm starting my own show in Paris next year."

"Oh really?" she said. "That's wonderful! Congratulations!"

"Thank you," he said. "This time, Salva had nothing to do with it. He's made too many broken promises. I'm breaking up with him tonight."

"Oh really? I'm sorry to hear that."

She could relate. She was starting to hate liars more and more each day--herself included.

In the corner of her eye, she could still see Daniel staring at her.

Bile rose in her throat, and she decided to find a place to clear her head.

"Please excuse me," she said sweetly, trying to not seem rude.

Once she had some privacy in the bathroom, she washed her hands and splashed cool water on her face. Makeup be damned! This was an emergency! She tried to steady her heartbeat and focus on breathing like Daniel taught her. Now would be the worst time to have a panic attack.

"Mila?" she heard an anxious voice behind her.

In the mirror's reflection, she saw Cordelia, a vision in couture. Mila remembered how frumpy she felt in her presence the first time they met. Now they looked like they could actually be friends.

Cordelia fiddled with her bejeweled miniature clutch.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry how everything went down." she said. "When I got your letters, my only goal was to help you."

"And yet you didn't," she said harshly. The panic was slowly receding, replaced with anger.

Cordelia lowered her gaze.

"The first thing I did was go directly to Alec's parents. I thought it the prudent move before getting law enforcement involved. Then the Laurents hired a team that uncovered the truth. From that point on the only focus was helping Alec. There was nothing I could do."

She seemed genuinely apologetic, but Mila was still upset. She thought about how Cordelia had been her only hope for so long. How she'd dreamed and wished for her to swoop in to save her. Female comradery would surely save the day! Oh, how wrong she'd been.

"I never imagined he was an imposter," she whispered, "Never. I can only hope that one day you can forgive me."

Mila brushed past her. "Don't count on it."

She left before she got too upset and said something she couldn't take back.

She should have suspected someone would be waiting for her. Before she could figure out her next movements, Daniel pulled her arm, navigating her elsewhere.