Treizecisisapte || Measures

After an unproductive week of more blackouts, the office was assembling for a company-wide meeting.

By Friday, news vans were camped outside of the building, and the parking lot at maximum capacity. Grinning, bleached-teethed reporters stood around waiting for more drama to unfold.

"Vultures." Evie said. Mila was happy to have someone to chat with, because the security clearance line was backed up to the door. Instead of their usual handhelds, the officers now operated full-body scanners, like at the airport.

"I just hope we get this mess sorted soon," Evie said.

Mila hadn't seen Bonnie and Mr. Han all week. All she knew was that they were taking private meetings out of the office. Daniel was also gone, having been sent out of town to deal with other locations.

The security alarm went off at the front of the line, pulling her attention to a group of men she hadn't seen before. The security officer individually scanned the guy who made it go off with his handheld device, which went off near his knee.

"Knee replacement," he said.

One of them ushered him to a private room, and he rolled his eyes.

"They look like Feds." Evie said.

Mila froze.

"Feds? How do you know Feds are involved?"

"Don't ask," she replied.

No one had bothered asking about her panic attack. It was already old news. The office was too busy buzzing with questions. The blackouts had continued, and everyone bracing for another at any moment. The printers were jammed from people trying to print as much information as they could.

It was a mess.

She looked back at the email Daniel sent her.

=================

To: Black, Mila
From: Lee, Daniel
Date: Monday, April 7, 6:45:33 PST
Subject: Note

I have to go out of town to check on our other offices. What's been happening here has been happening everywhere. I'm sorry for reacting the way I did, I know you were trying to protect me. I have some alternative resources I'd like to discuss with you when I get home. I'll be back for your party.

Please stay safe,
- Daniel

=================

Alternative resources? She spent her days mulling over what that could mean.

The assembly room was the only place big enough to house the entire company. It was rarely used, but everyone knew when a meeting was called there, it was serious. Mila found Evie and took her place next to her, not too far from the front.

Mr. Han, Bonnie, and the rest of the executive team stood on the stage. Unsurprisingly, Daniel wasn't back.

They waved at Bonnie, but she just winked and smiled, keeping it professional. The Feds were lined up on the back wall, watching over them all like buzzards. When Mila turned around to get a better look, she accidentally caught the eye of one.

Shit, she thought, ducking further in her seat.

She needed to stay under the radar, and as far away from them as humanly possible.

"Everyone," Mr. Han said. "I'd like to keep this short, because I know it's been a tough week. I appreciate your patience and discretion regarding this situation. I wanted to let everyone know that we've consulted with the Federal Investigation Bureau along with outside counsel. I'm happy to announce that together, we've identified the issues as an internal fluke, and things should be fine moving forward."

She felt the room's collective sigh at this update, which was met with enthusiastic applause.

They'd already fixed it?

"I'd also like to announce that we've decided to merge with Pantheon Technologies. It was thanks to Pantheon's innovation that we were able to quickly solve this problem. Please welcome them to the team!"

Mila held her breath as Alec and two other gentlemen walked on the stage.

This wasn't real. It couldn't be.

They all shook hands, grinning like Cheshire cats.

"This must have been what all those meetings were about." Evie said. "I never thought I'd see the day. Bonnie always said Han would never merge HSG because he was afraid it would give someone else too much power."

In order to save his company, Mr. Han had done something drastic. Something Alec had planned from the beginning. Something she'd unwillingly plaid a key role in.

Mila didn't hear the rest of what anyone said. Alec had found her in the crowd, and they were staring at each other like it was just the two of them in the room. A satisfied smirk lingered on his face.

*****

Mila wasn't happy about dinner with the Laurents. Though, she was grateful to be on dry land. Alec somehow hired a company last minute to fumigate, or pretend to fumigate the house, and they'd left earlier that morning. Just in time for Celine to start cooking.

After the assembly, she didn't have anything to say to him. Not while they were getting ready for dinner, nor on the car ride over. In truth, she was dealing with deep self-hatred, a symptom of her guilt.

Making conversation with Alec's parents for an evening, then again at the Ball tomorrow, was the last thing she wanted to do. The only thing she wanted was to curl up with her duvet in her bathtub. Preferably in the dark.

The house was a different place with his parents there. The dining room where they'd had so many uncomfortable conversations, was now jubilant and decorated with an elaborate table setting. Celine prepared a lavish meal for the four of them, while Gerard, Alec's father, played French music on a record player they'd never used.

"I'm not a particular fan of petunias," Gerard said to her.

Of all the things she'd expected from Alec's father, boring wasn't one of them. He'd engulfed her in conversation about plants and flowers during pre-dinner cocktails, and only shut up long enough to eat the first course. Mila noticed the soup spoon shaking in his hand, and wondered if he was ill.

"What's Paris like?" she asked Celine.

"You haven't been? It's true it's the best city in the world," she replied. It was a colorful, yet short answer, like all of their conversations.

Celine didn't seem to dislike her. In fact, she didn't seem to have strong feelings about her one way or the other. It was clear from the beginning that Celine was only really interested in Alec. Gerard and Mila were background noise.

"This is nice," Alec said. "All of us being together. I really missed your cooking,"

"And I missed my son." Celine replied.

Mila only caught the hint of sadness in her voice because the music stopped playing. Gerard didn't get up to flip over the record. He'd stopped eating and was now watching his wife studiously. His hands nervously rubbing together under the table.

Something about it made Mila decide to pay attention to Celine as well.

"I missed you too, mother," Alec said.

"I said, my son." Celine's voice was now sharp, and cut across the quiet room. Her cheery demeanor completely dissipated.

"I do not know who you are," she said. "But you are not my son."

================================

Dun dun dun....! What do you think?

Guys, thanks again for your votes, comments and support! Every week it helps me continue to write this story, especially on days when I don't feel particularly artistic or motivated. Please help me get to 30 votes for this chapter!

Don't forget to vote ;-P