Patruzeci || Opal

"I made a promise a long time ago I'd always take care of you." he said, putting the diamonds around her neck. Now seemed as good a time as any to gift them.

The clock was ticking.

They were back in the Manor. There was no reason for seclusion now that secrets were out in the open.

"I'm just hoping that tonight we can have a truce from our war."

She touched the stones with the tips of her fingers, then rubbed her collarbone. Her hand grazed his, and he felt it shaking.

"I'm nervous," she said. "Do we have to go?"

"This is the last thing we have to do." he said, "You've been through much worse."

The realization that she'd wronged him seems to somehow leveled the playing field. It felt like the beginning of something.

A new chapter perhaps?

He wondered what their relationship would be like if he'd told her the truth from the beginning. It was a fleeting thought. He knew they would have never made it this far without brute force.

Olga and Raul were not happy he'd come clean. He wouldn't have told them at all, if he hadn't needed Raul to get the Laurent boy ready for their exchange later on.

The only thing pacifying them now was that he'd been able to siphon some of HSG's crypto. Not only had he restored the emergency fund, he'd paid each of them their full share.  Technically, they could walk away right now, and no one would stop them.

Though, he knew they wouldn't do that to him. Gestures of goodwill went far where they came from.

The museum was truly a sight to see, and he was proud of all the work he'd put in over the last year. The drinks were pouring, and the room rippled with laughter and animated conversation.

Once he and Mila stepped into the room, all eyes were on them. Complimenting the party, telling them what an attractive couple they made. It took several minutes before they could relax and find people they wanted to talk to.

"This has to be one of the best exhibits I've seen," said one of Alec's classmates. "Congratulations."

He didn't mind making small talk with random people.  It kept them away from landmines—the first being the Laurents. He scanned the room and found them hanging near a corner with Cordelia, Salvadore and Paolo, struggling to make small talk. Salvadore was wearing a sparkling orange suit, and purple glasses, while Paolo looked much more conservative.

The second, was anyone HSG related. Though he had to admit he looked forward to Daniel seeing them together. He was still irrevocably pissed about the situation, but they had bigger problems. Besides, the pain Daniel was about to feel, would be worse than any physical blow he could land.

Gerard and Celine came over with an obligatory greeting. Cordelia fell back behind them like a wallflower, avoiding eye contact. She had always come across as strong and confident, but now, she looked weak and fearful.

She knew.

He pulled Celine close.

"Does she know?" he whispered.

"Yes," she replied. "But she has from the beginning. She is the one who contacted us in the first place."

Interesting. He wondered what exactly Cordelia knew.

"You let anyone else in on this, there will be no exchange." he said harshly, under his breath.

She plastered a fake smile on her face and nodded. Celine was no fool.

"You received the finalized location?" she asked, still managing to look like they were having a pleasant conversation. "Does this one work for you?"

"It's fine," he said. "I'll see you later."

He watched the three of them slip away into the crowd, leaving Salvadore and Paolo with them.

"Mila darling! Your piece is the highlight of the night. My taste goes unchallenged again!"

"I'm glad to hear it," she said, swaying a little.

"I'm sorry." she said. "I've only had one glass of champagne. I haven't really eaten today."

"Well, I'm glad someone's having fun," Paolo said.

"Alec, dear," Salvadore said. "Your mother is acting uptight and she's usually so much fun! Does she have a bug or something?"

"She did mention not feeling well," Mila said, raising an eyebrow.

He caught on quickly. "You know, she did say that."

Tonight, they were moving as a unit, with one goal in mind: Make it through.

"Even if she's sick, you'd think she'd be prouder of all you've achieved." said Salvadore. "I mean look at this party!"

Maybe Salva wasn't so bad.

The program organizer came over with her clipboard and headset. "It's time to do acknowledgements." she said. "So we can start serving the hors d'oeuvres. Too much alcohol and not enough food equals disaster."

He climbed the stairs, so everyone could see him, moving Mila along with him.

The room picked up that something was happening, shushed, and turned their attention.

"I would like to thank you all for being here, at SAM's annual Opal Ball." he said loudly.

The crowd clapped.

He despised people like this.

"First and foremost, I would like to thank Salvadore Clemente for agreeing to open the season with his most innovative work yet."

The crowd thunderously applauded, and Salvadore did a humble head nod.

"The second is you. The generosity you've shown by attending this event is sure to fund the SAM through this season, and many seasons to come."

He could see the Laurents and Cordelia staring daggers at him. He didn't care. It was his moment.

"I'm also excited to formally announce my engagement to this beautiful woman, Mila Black. She has supported and helped me throughout this entire venture, showing me that true happiness is through service of others. Soon, we will be moving abroad to work on our other charity endeavors for the people that need it most."

He heard a few gasps from the audience, but mostly applause.

"Again, thank you, and please enjoy the food and drinks, and don't put those checkbooks away just yet!"

The crowd chuckled and began scrambling amongst themselves again.

In the middle of them, he spotted Daniel. He was still, and looking at them pale-faced. Two women next to him were furiously talking amongst themselves and pointing. After being unable to snap Daniel out of it, they made their way to Sung Han, who was also staring.

Things were about to get a lot more uncomfortable.

================================

Thank you for getting me to 140,000 reads! I want to say a special thanks to all of you that commented and voted on my last chapter, it really meant a lot!

Please continue voting, commenting and sharing my work on your reading lists!

Don't forget to vote! ;-P

- Shar