Douazecisisapte || Stolen

Alec's words repeated through her thoughts on a loop. Reminding of the promise she would soon have to deliver.

That morning, while putting on her pumps, she examined the two flower vases. She was thinking about her family and all the holidays she'd missed. They believed she was too busy with her 'big new job' to visit.

It was something they understood well. Her uncle hadn't been part of holidays for years until he finally gained seniority at work. Because of this, it was something they didn't give her too much grief about during their short phone calls.

Easter would be the hardest to miss. Every year, they prepared a giant pot of Feijoada, which could feed a small city. Two years ago, when she was home for Easter, her uncle insisted she help with the process. At the time, she was still struggling badly from her accident, and he was trying to build her confidence.

As the flavors filled the house, he bestowed some of his classic wisdom. "You come from strong stock." he said. "It doesn't matter what happens, you'll always get through it. That's who we are. Who you are."

She helped him serve bowls to the community, and felt happier for it. They lived in a tiny, working-class neighborhood mixed with people from all different backgrounds. Easter was when everyone shared their favorite dishes. Amazingly, they got along well with few problems. Most likely, for the parents, the promise of better futures for their children. Futures involving better jobs, less struggles, and more opportunities.

She would give anything to go back to that time. She wished she could tell them it wasn't worth it. That they already had it all. Living in a mansion, being driven around, and wearing designer clothing was the ultimate dream for most. But now, after experiencing it, she could see that money was an illusion. A trap. A lie. It had little use for happiness without the people that meant something.

Her impending fate was creeping, and she was giving serious thought to running and contacting the FBI. However, both were risky options with dangerous consequences. With Mr. Han and Bonnie's arrival, the clock was officially running down.

"What's up with you today?" Daniel asked, interrupting her. They were regularly sharing the nook now, along with his breakfast. She was eating so well, she had to cushion more time in her mornings to work out. She needed to keep her waistline in-check for Salvadore's show, and for when Alec's arm wrapped around her at night.

"Huh?" she said lazily.

"I was saying we should all go out when my sister gets back next week," he said. "And you completely zoned out."

"I'm sorry." Mila tried to re-engage. "My mind was elsewhere. Yeah, we should."

She lied, knowing full-well it would never happen. After next week, she didn't even know if they'd be friends. She wanted to enjoy it as long as possible.

At lunch, Evie was nowhere to be found, again. Mila figured she was probably with her 'much adored' husband. She wasn't a hater by any means, she just missed Evie. She hadn't been around as much lately, and Mila missed her upbeat chirpiness.

"Looks like we're on our own." Daniel said, joining her. 

"Looks like it." she said.

"Let me take you to lunch? There's a great place for hotpot just down the street." He gave her a smile she couldn't resist.

Since her watch was in a security locker, technically, there was no way for Alec to really know if she left the building. Plus, it was her prerogative to get to know her coworkers, right?

In reality they were excuses. She wanted to spend time with Daniel--it didn't matter how. When she was around him, problems melted away, and she could enjoy the moment. Not only was Daniel thoughtful, he was also laid back and very funny. At times, she realized she was laughing so much when she was with him her jaw hurt from smiling. Sometimes she wondered what it would have been like if she'd met Daniel before Evan. Such thoughts were painful and unrealistic, so she didn't let herself ponder too long.