Sixty-six

I was 7 when I watched my older sister move away at the age of 18, and I thought that would be the last time I saw her because she moved because of our mother.

I saw her for the first time 5 years later and now we're in each other's life but I never imagined how hard that must've been for her.

I think I just cut our mother out too. I told her I don't want her in my life and having to deal with that is the hardest thing I've ever done.

I literally have no idea what to do without her. I hate that she's made me so dependent on her that now I feel alone even though I'm far from it. I have one of my sisters, I have my friends... I'm not alone.

I wrote Dahlia's character the way I did because I couldn't cut my mum out myself. I do that a lot. I write my character to be a lot stronger than me.

I didn't expect that I would happen to do it myself.

I don't know what to do...

-

I woke up in the middle of the night, out of breath and sweating lightly.

I sat up, running both of my hands over my face as I felt George wake up next to me.

"Dia?"

"I'm okay." I breathed. "It was just a dream."

He sat up next to me as I moved back to sit against the headboard.

"Do you always get nightmares?" He asked. "I think this is the sixth or seventh time you've had one when we've shared a bed."

"It's not that often anymore." I told him. "When I was younger, it was every night but once I moved out and realised they couldn't hurt me anymore, it started happening less."

I ran my fingers into my hair before I looked at George.

"I just— it's happening more often now after cutting my mother out of my life." I said. "I think it's the guilt acting up."

George sighed and grabbed my hand, bringing it up to his lips.

"I am really happy that you finally agreed to therapy." He said. "It's going to be really helpful."

I scoffed.

"Do you need me to walk you there on Monday?" He asked, but I shook my head. "No? You're not gonna stay away, are you?"

"No." I shook my head again. "Dove paid money for it so I'm gonna go and I'm gonna talk to a stranger about my trauma."

I let out a small chuckle and looked at George but he just looked at me with a worried expression.

"Let's go back to sleep." I said and patted his chest. "I'm tired."

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bed, George being in the kitchen and making breakfast.

I could hear Roxanne tell him about her dream, being all excited about it and I could hear Fred's voice too but it was more faint.

After I got dressed and brushed my hair, I joined them, seeing George smile at me while listening to his daughter speak.

"Dahlia!" Fred called. "Can you help me with my homework?"

I smiled.

"Sure. What class is it for?"

"English. We have to read a chapter and then answer the questions but I can't read some of the words."

I walked over and pulled out a chair to sit next to him, looking down at his book that he pushed closer to me.