Eighty-one

"I knew you'd like the chocolates."

I glared at George as I ate another piece, sitting in the middle of my bed, my legs folded and the box of chocolates placed in front of me.

"I'm hungry." I argued. "I haven't had anything to eat today."

"Well that's just stupid." He said and tilted his head.

I glanced at him before picking up my phone to look at the time.

"The kids get off school in twenty minutes."

"I know."

I grabbed one of the chocolates and held my hand out towards George who watched me and chuckled before taking it.

He sat down on the bed as he unwrapped it and ate it, looking at me.

"Can we talk about your mother for a second?"

"Do we have to?"

George spread his palm over my thigh, his thumb rubbing my skin in a soothing motion.

"Fine." I sighed. "But I'm still pissed at you."

A small smile spread on his face, his eyes searching my face before he moved further onto the bed, folding his legs to sit like me.

"Understandable."

He brought a hand up to gently push a lock of my hair behind my ear so that he could look at my face, but I just stared down at my lap.

"What happened?" He asked, letting his hand drop to run past my skin right where my crop top ended.

"I don't know." I said. "I felt really lost after you broke up with me. I just felt like I wasn't allowed to be happy without something getting in the way. I decided to go visit Nadine's grave home in Carlisle and my mum showed up. She apologised and she hugged me and she's never done that before, so I just... I fell into her trap."

I ate another piece of chocolate, finding the silence kind of comfortable as I finished chewing.

"I've spent the whole week at her place after work, listening to her lectures and hearing her talk about setting me up with someone."

"Setting you up?"

"Yeah. Apparently I have a date with Graham something next month. Probably yet another rich man who treats his partners like objects."

"Well you're not gonna go, are you?"

I looked at George.

"If we're back together, then no."

He smiled weakly, placing a hand on my thigh before I leaned in to him, resting my head against his shoulder, slightly sliding down until my head laid against his thigh.

I could hear him chuckle while moving his hand to rest in my hair.

"I'm not this perfectly strong person that you want me to be."

"I don't want you to be anybody but yourself." He said. "Why don't you think you're strong?"

"I can't let go of the people ruining my life." I breathed and turned to look up at him. "Every time I'm close to letting go of my mum, I think of the few good times we had together and then I don't think the abusive ones matter. Logically, I see what I should do, but my emotions won't let me because after all, she is my mother and she's the only one I've had. It may have been abuse but it's what I've known and how am I going to function without it?"

George ran his knuckles over my cheekbone as we stared at each other, my eyes focused on his and his eyes focused on my face in general.

"You'll function just fine." He assured me. "I know it doesn't feel like it, but it will get better. Cutting her out is a bump on your road to get better."