Chapter 18: Betrayal in Black

While the song plays the video shows me making out with Josie, then the video has been edited so that it looks like right after I made out with Josie I went and sat back down to kiss Carson. Even though I didn't. The kiss is from before I even knew Josie was spying on me.

"What the hell..." I say as I watch the video.

"You, you lied to me," Josie says.

"What!? No!"

"You lied to me! After I left you made out with him?"

"I didn't!"

"It's all right here Kat, I can't believe I fell for it." She pushes past me and leaves.

"Josie wait! It's not what it looks like, I didn't!" I chase after her.

As I passed people in the hall I can hear them watching it, see them laughing. Commenting on it. On me. On how I'm a cheating no good white trash hoe.

"Josie stop!" I run after her.

"Stay away from me!" she pushes me so hard I fall on my butt.

I look up at her in shock but she just holds back a sob and runs away from me. I get back to my feet and walk over to the cafeteria where Sage and Sophie sit. Sage is watching the video with Sophie and Wyatt.

I watch Sage cringe and sigh before turning it off.

"It's not what it looks like," I quickly explain.

"Save it, I warned you," Sage says.

"That video was edited!" I say.

"So you didn't kiss Josie?" Sophie says.

"I mean, yeah I did, but—"

"Wow," Sophie says.

"No! I didn't kiss Carson after, I swear I didn't."

"So you just made out with Josie while you were supposed to be on a date with Carson?" Sage asks.

"Well, I mean, uh—"

"Wow," Sophie says again.

I try to defend myself but only stutters come out.

"That's fucked up," Wyatt says.

"It's not like that," I say.

"Then what is it like?" Sage challenges.

"I love her..." I say softly.

Sophie's eyes go big and she indicates with her eyes to look behind me before quickly turning in her chair away from me.

I whirl around and come face to face with Carson.

He looks betrayed, stabbed right in the heart. On the verge of tears, he can't even say anything to me. He just backs away and jogs off.

"Carson wait!" I chase after him.

"I'm such an idiot." He says to himself.

"No! I—"

"How long!?" he whirls around to face me.

People around us grow quiet and watch. I duck my head in shame.

"Was I just a joke to you? Did you only date me as some kind of sick joke? Just so you and Josie could laugh about me behind my back?"

"No—"

"Don't lie to me!"

I flinch at his tone.

"I thought you were different Kat. I thought... You're just as fucked up as the rest of them. Stay away from me." he backs away.

People around us laugh and make fun of me. I just watch him walk away. The bell rings and everyone starts shuffling to class. I sniffle and wipe my tears before pushing my way to class.