Chapter 12) The Stray

Fate POV

Running errands for my own maid, that's not how it worked 836 years ago when Aether owned a mansion. The maid's should do these things for me right?

Oh well, it's been a while since I've been on a walk by myself. I look back at the list Sheila gave me. Most of the things were normal things like eggs, flour, a new watering can, a few sewing kits, and other things a maid would buy.

But like I said, most. The things on the list included whetstones, throwing knives, one-time-use spacial storage crystals, and other things a normal maid would not buy.

I mean, the number of knives she wanted was in the quadruple digits. I assume she would put them in the storage crystals and activate them when necessary, like during our battle.

Storage crystals make me feel slightly strange. I don't really know how to describe the feeling but I felt like an old person learning about computers when I heard about them.

Most people don't have the ability •Storage• or skills similar to it, so the scientists of this world created a way to give them the skill. I Don't know the specifics but crushing the crystal in your hand puts it in a spatial dimension just like my •Void Holder• ability would, except you can only call for the items in the crystal once.

Hence why it's called one-time-use. They're very expensive and amount of things you can put in a crystal is very limited. So it's mostly used by aristocratic society to keep their most valued items safe.

Yet Sheila is able to buy enough to hold onto god knows how many knives. I've gotten myself a very interesting maid.

I quickly hit the shopping district and place all of the goods on the list in my void storage. Next I enter a more shadier part of town. On the list was also the name of a shop.

Using •All Seeing Eyes• a set of directions appear in my head. I follow them and eventually find myself in front of inconspicuous alley way.

Maybe I'd find some myself some random girl sitting behind a dumpster. I chuckle at the thought, that only happens in stories where the author runs out of ideas to introduce a new character.

I enter the alleyway and spot a dumpster. I scratch my head, that event in the story Kazuki told me about might happen to me. I carefully approach the dumpster and peer around it.

No one was there. I hear a disappointed sigh coming from Kazuki in my head. I chuckle and move forward towards a closed door. Above it was a sign that simply read 'Leave'.

The shop's name on the list did say 'Leave' so I knock on the door, this was probably the place. I put my hands in my pocket and wait as I hear loud footsteps approaching the door.

Suddenly the door opens up to reveal a big man with an eyepatch looking at me very angrily.

???: "Read the sign." He says menacingly.

Fate: "Leave." I say squinting my eyes at the sign.

???: "Great." He says with a smile, "Now leave." He says giving me a deathly glare.

There are a thousand of different ways I could deal with this, a lot of them include me just using a single skill. But I'm in no rush so I'll just play along.

Fate: "Listen, right now I'm just an errand boy." I say putting my hands up, "I'm just here to pick a few things up for someone."

A few thousand items to be exact.

???: "Yeah? For who." He challenges me.

I doubt Sheila gave him her name, so how do I address her in front of him. Actually, how does she get around with an entire guild after her?!