[𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄]

𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐀

"You just can't stop yourself from lying, can you?" Steve exclaimed, rushing into Fury's office as I walked behind him.

"I didn't lie. Agent Romanoff and Agent Pierce had a different mission than yours." Fury spun around in his chair.

"Which you didn't feel obliged to share."

"I'm not obliged to share anything." Fury scoffed.

"Those hostages could have died, Nick." Steve shook his head, annoyed.

"The key, sir." I said, placing the USB key Natasha had given me on his desk.

"I sent the greatest soldier in history to make sure that didn't happen. Thank you, Agent Pierce." he nodded at me.

I gave him a small smile and started walking away.

"You. You're staying." Steve snapped, looking at me.

I sighed and stood next to him, crossing my arms, annoyed.

"Soldiers trust each other, that's what makes it an army. Not a bunch of guys running around shooting guns."

"Last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye." Fury stood up. "Look, I didn't want you doing anything you weren't comfortable with. Agent Romanoff and Agent Pierce are, luckily, comfortable with everything."

"I can't lead a mission when the people I'm leading have missions of their own." Steve scoffed. "And you, you're supposed to tell me everything." he looked at me.

"I'm not supposed to tell you anything, Captain. My boss gives me orders, I simply just follow them. You should too. Stop sticking your nose where it doesn't belong." I glared at him, raising an eyebrow.

"It's called compartmentalization. Nobody spills the secrets, because nobody knows them all." Fury said.

"Except you." Steve shook his head again.

"You're wrong about me. I do share. I'm nice like that. Agent Pierce, you can go." he looked at me.

"Finally." I muttered. "Have a good day, sir. Captain." I nodded at them both and they nodded back at me.

I turned around and walked away, rolling my eyes.

"So much testosterone." I muttered. "Ew."

~

"Why does he have to be so nosy?" I groaned, walking into a cafe with Natasha.

"He's Captain America." she chuckled as we sat down at a table. "He's also a man." I laughed softly.

I ordered a cappuccino and Natasha got a macchiato. We talked for a bit, caught each other up as we hadn't seen the other many times in the last 2 years, because of missions.

Natasha's phone rang as we finished our coffees. She looked at it, her face immediately dropping.

"We have to go. Now." she said, getting up and fishing a 20 out of her pocket.

She put it on the table and ran out. I rushed after her, worried, and confused as to what was going on.

"Natasha, what's going on?" I asked, getting in the passenger seat.

"Fury's in the hospital." she said, her voice trembling.

Everything went blurry and what Natasha was saying; her voice, was fading into the background.