[𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍]

𝐊𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐀

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" I asked, my feet up on the dashboard, Steve driving, Natasha in the back.

I could tell that since we left the mall, Natasha was looking at me, but I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I kissed her. I made the first move. Now she has to make it.

"Nazi Germany." he said and I chuckled. "And we're borrowing, take your feet of the dash."

I looked over at him and narrowed my eyes, a small smirk on my face as I sat properly.

"So." Natasha spoke. "Why'd you kiss me?" she asked as if it was nothing.

"I- Excuse me?" I questioned, not looking at her, feeling myself blush.

"I was about to kiss Steve and you said 'Yeah, no.' and kissed me. Why?" 

"Rumlow was gonna catch us. Like you said, PDA is disgusting to other people." I shrugged.

"I had Steve for that. You could've hidden behind him, looking away." I could tell she had a smirk on her face.

"She likes you, that's what it is." Steve smirked.

"Wh- I do not!" I slapped his arm, glaring at him.

"Oh, do you now?" Natasha asked as I looked at her.

Shit.

I was right. She had a smirk on her face as she asked me that question.

"No. No, I don't. You're my friend. That's it. Nothing more." I shook my head, turning around, crossing my arms, focusing on the road. "Anyway, Steve, got anybody special?" I asked him.

"Yeah, just change the subject, why don't you?" he scoffed, a smile on his face.

"Oh, just answer it."

"No. Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience."

"Well, that's alright. You just make something up." Natasha shrugged.

"What, like you two?" he asked.

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstance. It's not all things to all people, all the time. Neither are we." she nudged my arm.

"That's a tough way to live." Steve nodded.

"It's a good way not to die, though." I said.

"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is. In this case, 2 someones."

"Yeah... who do you want us to be?" Natasha turned toward him.

"How about friends? Ever heard of those?"

"I literally just called Natasha a fr- you know what, why do I even try?" I muttered. "There's a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers. Anywho, are we there yet? I'm hungry and tired, and I have to pee." I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

"Almost there." Steve chuckled.

~

We got to an old army base that had obviously been abandoned.

"What the hell is this place?" I muttered, getting out of the car, stretching.

"This is it." Steve said.

"'It' where? What is this place?" I scoffed.

"The file came from these coordinates." Natasha looked around.

"So did I..." Steve sighed as he broke the lock and let us in.

It was getting close to night, so we had to be quick. We couldn't spend too much time here.

"This camp is where I was trained." Steve looked around, probably feeling nostalgic.

"Change much?" Natasha asked, trying to find a heat signature.

"A little."

"Well, this is a dead end." Natasha sighed.

"You have got to be joking. You're telling me we drove 3 and a half hours to find nothing?" I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Yup. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must've used a router to throw people off."

Steve looked behind us and he saw something. It looked like he knew there was something wrong with it.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Army regulations forbid storing munitions within 500 yards of the barracks." Steve explained as we walked towards it. "This building is in the wrong place."

He used his Shield to break the lock, opening the door and letting us walk in. We walked downstairs and we saw nothing.

"Perfect. Busted lightbulbs. Just great." I muttered.

"Can you relax? For like one second?" Steve asked, turning on the lights. "There's always generators."

"This is SHIELD." Natasha realized.

"Maybe where it started." Steve told us.

We walked into the back room, seeing pictures of three different people.

"And there's Stark's father." I said.

"Howard." Steve nodded.

"Who's the other guy?"

"Colonel Chester Phillips."

"Who's the girl?" Natasha asked.

He looked at the woman and walked away, not answering us.

"I swear to God, if this man ignores me one more time, I'm gon-" I started, whispering.

"It was probably someone close to him, give the man a break, will you?" she cut me off.

"I don't like it when people ignore me. It irritates me."

"Just because you're whispering, doesn't mean I can't hear you." Steve said, turning toward us, raising an eyebrow. "Enhanced hearing, remember? Look at this. If you're already working in a secret office," he opened two shelves as we walked over to him. "why do you have to hide the elevator?"

Natasha scanned the keypad, getting 4 numbers out of it. 8 5 3 9. I punched the numbers in, the elevator opening. We started walking in and I stopped, putting my arms out.

"Is this thing gonna, like, kidnap us or something?" I asked. "'Cause I don't feel like dying today. Or soon, for that matter."

"It's not gonna kidnap us, Katherine. Get in the elevator." Natasha shoved me into the elevator.

"Bitch." I muttered.

"I heard that." she smirked.

"I didn't say anything."

"Mhm. Yeah, ok."

"You guys talk a lot, you know that right?" Steve laughed softly as the elevator doors opened.

It was dark. Again.

"Ok, we're gonna die, it's official." I said.

"Be quiet and walk." Steve shoved me softly.

"Can you guys stop shoving me?" I glared at him.

We saw a big machine in the middle and started walking towards it, carefully. All the lights turned on as we got closer and closer to it.

"This can't be the data point. This technology is ancient." Natasha scoffed as we walked onto it.

"It's not that old." I heard Steve mutter, making me chuckle.

"Then what is that?" I pointed to a port with 8 USB key slots.

Natasha put the USB key into the port, machines turning on all around us.

"Ok. What. The. Fuck?" I swore, looking around.