bonus chapter 1: geocaching with warren ashford pt. II

Warren

"Warren," she rasps before the tears take over.

I rush to her side, hating that I've made my girl bawl. I know they're supposed to shed a couple tears and all, but she's got them pouring down her cheeks like the rain that falls from the clouds that tend to constantly hang over Vancouver. "Baby," I say once she's in my arms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry like this."

Nova shakes her head against my chest, and when I look down I see that she's clutching the ring in her left fist like she's afraid to let go of it. "No," she sobs. "This – this is perfect. You've just caught me so off guard that I don't know what to do. You know I'm not good in emotional situations like this."

I laugh and hug her tighter. "I'd rather you be laughing uncontrollably right now, but, hey, we can't have everything we want, right?"

She nods, and then says, "Perhaps not. But we can get pretty damn close."

For the next couple minutes, all we do is stand here in each other's arms, waiting for her tears to calm down. And, when they do, I push her away and cup her face, wiping away the remaining tears. "We good now?" I ask.

She smiles and nods her head.

And that's all it take for me to become nervous as fuck about what I'm going to do in the middle of this park. I'm more nervous than I was when I had to meet her parents, which is saying a lot because I was scared shitless back then. This, though? This is completely different.

Clearing my throat, I reach for the ring and begin to get down on one knee. But Nova stops me, shaking her head as she grips my biceps and tugs me back up.

I frown at her. "What are you doing?"

"I don't want some cliché speech from you, Warren. Yes. A million times yes. I will marry you."

I blink in surprise. Usually, Nova is very particular about the decisions she makes, meaning she thinks for hours upon hours before coming out with a suitable solution.

"Oh," I say, blinking again. "Well, then. In that case..."

I hold out my hand so she can give me the ring. Yeah, I'll allow her to take away the option of giving the big speech I had planned about how things changed and all that kind of shit, but I'm the one that's putting the ring on her hand. No one, not even Nova Elliot herself, can take that option away from me.

With a big smile on her tear-streaked face, she lets go of the ring, and then holds out her left hand.

"So," I smirk as I begin to slide it onto her finger. "Because you don't want some big speech about how things have changed and all that shit, let's cut right to the chase: Nova Jane Elliot, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" she squeals, throwing her arms around my neck.

When she does that, I can't stop myself from wrapping my arms around her waist and lifting her up so her legs are around my own waist.

I meet her big brown eyes, and when I see that she's looking at me with awe, I can't help but let it get to my ego.

"I love you, Warren," she whispers, taking my face in her hands.

"Love you too, Novs," I smile, closing the remaining space between us.

Here's why I love kissing her so much: each one is different. Just think about it: the setting, the taste, the feelings, and all that kind of shit. But this one? This is the best one I've ever experienced. Her lips are softer than silk and she tastes like lemonade. Throw the happiness I'm feeling into the equation, and you've got a kiss like no other.