chapter twenty-one

Warren

Warren

Patience has never been one of my best qualities.

It's been two weeks since the Canada Day party and Nova hasn't said a word to me about what happened. So far, I've been able to resist the temptation of asking her questions, but it's getting harder and harder every day. I just find it hard to believe that the walls she has built could possibly have a crack in the foundation. A serious crack, if it made her that upset.

It's driving me crazy, the mystery.

No one will tell me what the hell is going on. Hazel and Julia won't say a word and East knows nothing.

Goddammit.

While it pisses me off that Nova won't tell me, I can understand why she's hesitant. I mean, if our roles were switched, I don't think I'd want to tell someone like me my deepest secret either. All in all, because of screwing around, I've screwed myself. How ironic.

We've barely seen each other for the past few days because the girls have been busy with wedding planning; staying up late into the night with glasses of wine and ordering flowers and other shit that goes with the nautical theme. So, it's no surprise that I'm looking forward to today.

I stand by the bench, hands in the pockets of my sweater. One is jingling the keys and the other is flipping my phone while I wait outside of East Coast Bridal and Formal, the store Greyson and Hazel chose. I thought our parties would separate to find bridesmaid dresses and suits, but Hazel was adamant about making sure the suits and dresses match accordingly. Couldn't argue with her there.

I glance at my watch and note that it's almost one. Everyone – Nova, Hazel, Julia, Greyson, and the other groomsmen should be here any minute. I would have travelled with the pack if I hadn't decided it was time to start training for the upcoming volleyball season beginning in September. It would be a lie to say I haven't been slacking in daily physical activity. I hit the gym this morning and told everyone I'd meet them at the store.

Sitting down on the bench, I rest my elbows on my knees and drop my face into my hands as I think about what I said to my sister about liking Nova, about Hazel suggesting I take Nova out on a date.

Something's gone wrong in this male mind of mine.

I don't date women; I hang out with them for a couple of hours and then sleep with them. That's it. I've never wanted to get serious with a woman. I lived by my decision that ignorance is bliss and all that shit.

Until I met her.

Why does Nova make me want more?

Why is she the one woman I want to take to bed, but not just for the pleasure?

I've thought long and hard about this, coming to the partial conclusion that it's my ego wanting to break through those walls and win her over because the feeling of being rejected is foreign. I'm assuming that's what makes my longing for her worse. That and her hot temper combined with her perfect body...damn. I would love to see what she's like during sex.

The whole idea of wanting her but not being able to have her really seems to push my buttons.

However, the other half of me thinks it's because she rejected me. Something about her telling me off has made me want to get to know her as a person, making my longing for her strikingly powerful. Also, things have shifted drastically since her arrival, and in more ways than I can count.

I don't know when she started to grow on me, but she did. I can't get her off my mind. I haven't been able to since I met her; when she walked into my room and started throwing demands.

And now that I know there are secrets locked away in that head of hers, I want her to trust me. I don't want her to withhold viable information. I want her to lay it all on me because I know, deep down, that she needs somebody. If whatever Nova told Hazel was enough to bring her to tears, then it's bad.

I want to be that man that comforts her.

I let out an exasperated sigh and lean back, tilting my face up to the sky. I squint through my sunglasses, frustrated with my emotions. Why do they have to be so contradictory? So fucked-up?

"Hey, Warren."

I tear my gaze away from the sky, looking down at her painted toes. I then allow my eyes to travel up her bare legs, past her cut-off shorts and surprisingly low-cut shirt, to her usual black leather jacket. I don't know how she's wearing that thing in the heat of the day, but she is.

Finally, my gaze meets her big brown eyes. With my sunglasses on, the colour looks ten times darker. Stunningly beautiful.

"Hey, Nova," I reply, getting to my feet.

"How was your workout?" she asks, tucking an auburn curl behind her ear.

A muscle in my hand twitches – I should be doing that for her.

"Great," I reply. "It's just what I need to get back in shape."

Her eyes travel down my body, and then back up. "Pfft. Have you looked in the mirror?"

I cock an eyebrow. Is she flirting with me? I certainly hope so. But I bite my tongue. If I say a word about "flirting," she'll probably slap me silly.

Over her shoulder, I see Hazel, Greyson, Julia, and two other guys. The first one I recognize because he's Greyson's younger brother, Levi. The resemblance is startling. That, and I've met him before. The second guy must work with Greyson, considering the fact that his arms are covered in tattoos. He looks about my age and I do not like the fact that he's got his eyes travelling up and down Nova's body.

Letting my somewhat territorial instincts take over, I loop my arm around her waist and kiss her on the lips. Her body stiffens, which is no surprise when considering how she reacted at the lake. What does surprise me, though, is how she kisses me back, allowing her body to relax.

After the kiss and without another word, I take her hand and start guiding her to the store.

"Thank you for doing that," Nova mutters.

It's my turn to stiffen.

What the...?

I turn to look at her, displaying my confusion.

"The blond-haired guy, the one with the tattoos, his name is Ian. He will not stop flirting with me. It's beginning to drive me insane." She reaches up with one hand and begins to rub her temple. "Hazel even told him you were my boyfriend, and he still won't give up. But maybe now that he's seen us together, he'll give up."

I chuckle to myself. What does she expect when it comes to guys? I've seen plenty on campus try and throw themselves at her. They just continuously get rejected as I did.

"Whatever I can do to help," I smirk, thinking about the reason why we're here.

She casts me a look. "Seriously, Warren," she says softly. "Thank you."

I instantly sober up. Quieting my voice, I say, "If that Ian guy is harassing you, let me know. I'll take care of him."

Nova nods and then focuses on the building in front of us. It's odd to see her like this. I mean, she's usually uptight as fuck, but there's something off about her today.

However, before I can ask her what's wrong, she says, "Being in a different environment and meeting new people makes my nerves weary. Especially when they start flirting with me. That why I was so...uptight when I arrived in Vancouver. Interacting with you was unexpected."

Glancing at her as I grip the handle to the entrance, I ask, "Do you regret interacting with me? Meeting me?"

A small smile forms on her lips. "Surprisingly, no.