chapter forty-five

Nova

Nova

The sight of Warren's captivating face greets me in the morning. He's lying on his back, one arm bent beneath the pillow and the other wrapped around my waist. My own hands are placed precariously on his chest, as is my cheek.

As he stares at me, I stare back.

His dark chocolate brown hair has grown since we arrived; it's sticking up in every direction and tangling with his long lashes. He really needs to get a haircut before the wedding or else his crisp suit isn't going to match. As if it would actually matter, though, because Warren can pull off any –

Oh. My. God.

I'm the reason his hair is a disaster.

I tear my gaze away and turn to the ceiling, my breath hitching as I replay last night's events in my mind. I reach up and touch my lips, remembering the way he kissed me. It was soft but demanding. A shiver runs down my spine when my attention moves to what it felt like to have his weight on top of my body, to have him all to myself. I loosen a deep breath when I think about how raw and passionate he was.

The weight of the mattress shifts to my right, and my body freezes. I know he's awake because, well, I caught him staring at me. I glance at him, watching as he rubs the sleep from his eyes and smiles at me. I'm suddenly nervous. He's slept with so many girls before...What if I've disappointed him? Do I even compare to them? Oh, God.

Perhaps I should ask him.

The strong arm that's wrapped around my waist tightens, and pulls me closer. Within seconds, his lips are pressed against my neck.

"Good morning, my love," he says, his voice rough with sleep. His breath is hot against my skin, bringing back memories of last night and where he put his mouth. My cheeks turn red at the thought.

I'm suddenly so anxious that I feel the need to get dressed, pull on my runners, and go for a long run along the shoreline.

Glancing at him again, I see that he's still staring at me. My breath catches – I need to get out of here; I need to find an escape route from this bedroom so I can lock myself away and attempt to get my thoughts straight. If that's even possible. Warren's messed up my mind and emotions so badly I don't think rewiring will even help me now.

Sweeping my eyes across the bedroom, I notice the door to the bathroom hanging open. If I can get in there...I start to pull away from him.

"Oh no you don't," Warren says, pulling me against his body. "You're not going anywhere, Novs." He buries his face in my hair. Against the skin of my neck, I feel him smile. "I've waited seven months for this. Don't think you're getting away that easily. I'm greedy and I want you all to myself."

Although I love the feel of his body heat, the smell of him – everything about him, actually, I try to push away. Good God. I can't handle this – not knowing if I did enough. When he grabbed my wrist...Was that to stop me because he didn't enjoy what I was doing? Or did he want it to last?