chapter seventeen

Nova

Nova

It's Canada Day. Only the nation's biggest celebration of the year. Today is a bittersweet day for me. While I love Canada Day, it was also Carter's favourite holiday and it reminds me of him. I thought it would be harder to handle, but to my surprise, the morning has gone by with little to no ache in my heart.

I woke up before dawn and decided to go for a run. I left another note behind in case Warren woke up and I was still gone. Heading downstairs and sauntering into the kitchen for a breakfast muffin, I thought I was the only one awake. But Hazel was sitting at the breakfast bar, dressed in workout clothes.

We were both shocked that someone else could be crazy enough to get up before the sun peeks over the coastline. It was a little awkward at first, but after a moment of forced small talk between us, Hazel suggested we go on a run together since she knows her way around the area better than I do. I agreed.

By the time we got back, Warren and his parents had taken off to the grocery store to buy the supplies needed for tonight's barbeque. We both laughed at the note. Since when does Warren help someone go grocery shopping?

Since then, we've been dealing with the vanilla cupcakes we made yesterday; icing them with a simple white icing and decorating them with strawberries to resemble Canada's flag. While doing so, we've been discussing what flowers she should order for her wedding bouquet.

"Well," I say as I lick away some icing that's streaked across the back of my hand. I look up to see Hazel sucking on a spoonful of the stuff. I bite my lip to prevent myself from laughing at the irony of it all. All the calories we're putting on aside, it's so worth it. My mom was never much of a baker, meaning I never really got to do stuff like this. If I remember correctly, she told me she hated flour and how it coated everything like dust. "I know lilacs are your favourite flower, but they're not in season during August nor do they match the nautical theme. I'd suggest looking in to maybe getting a textured bouquet of blue delphiniums, red dahlias, baby's breath, mini carnations, roses, and some ferns. You don't have to add in all the flowers, of course – it might be too much. Maybe the bridesmaids could carry the roses."

Hazel stares at me and then smiles. "I knew there was a reason why I wanted you as my maid of honour. What would I do without you?"

I smile. After being in Vancouver and only doing work that's contributed to my credits or earning money, I'm enjoying being able to help and have some fun.

"Speaking of colours," Hazel says. "We need to discuss the bridesmaids' dresses."

"Navy-blue," I reply instantly. "And I think the style should be simple, too, so it doesn't overpower your wedding dress." I pause. "You do have a wedding dress, right?"

"Of course I do!" she laughs, elbowing me in the ribs. "I'm not that unorganized."

"Just making sure," I smile.