chapter forty-two

Warren

Warren

Nova hates that she told me her real birthdate almost as much as she hates celebrating birthdays. The last time we discussed birthdays, she told me hers was September seventh, knowing damn well that we'd still be in Halifax for her real birthday, which is today, July twenty-first.

Yesterday, she begged and pleaded with me not to do anything for her birthday or to tell anyone. I agreed to one of those after laughing at the fact that she didn't want to distract any attention from the wedding. If she thinks she can just have a down day for her twenty-third birthday, she's highly mistaken. The Ashfords have always celebrated birthdays to their full potential, and that's not going to stop anytime soon. Even if it means that only she and I will be celebrating it.

I've decided we're going to drive to Peggy's Cove. We're also going to stay at a cottage on the ocean for the night. The plan formed in my mind when she mentioned something about loving kayaking.

This morning, I woke her up in the silvery predawn light and I think she was ready to throttle me. However, when I mentioned kayaking on the ocean, she shut up and started packing. It was cute, seeing her excited and flustered.

There is one major twist in the plan, though.

Nova doesn't know we're spending the night away from the house. Meaning, when I pull into a parking spot right in front of the small cottage I booked, she's genuinely surprised.

"Oh my God," she says, jumping out of the vehicle. "I love this." She eyes me carefully. "I'm still not a fan of this surprise, though."

I grin. "Figured you would. And it looks like you're just going to have to get the hell over it. Let loose a bit, Scotia. You're with an Ashford now."

Her smile morphs into a frown. "Wait. If we're spending the day here, why didn't we park in the parking lot?"

Without answering her question, I open the back door and grab a bag that I snuck into the vehicle. It was a difficult task with Nova being so observant, but I eventually smuggled it in without her knowing.

With the bag slung over my shoulder, I take my place beside her and wrap an arm around her waist. "We parked here because we're staying overnight. Although I really feel like I should be cancelling all of this due to the fact that you lied to me about your birthday, I can't. So here we are."

She smiles and elbows me in the ribs. "You're lucky I like you."

I pull the key from my pocket. "Let's get going – we're losing kayaking time. You brought your bikini, right?"

"Yes, I did."

"Good," I reply, shooting her a grin.

* * *

Turns out, kayaking is very enjoyable; seeing the coastline and the seals and the Atlantic dolphins. But what's even better is my unparalleled view of Nova's body as she helps me paddle our red double kayak along the coastline. She may be wearing a shirt to prevent her skin from burning, but she still looks so hot.