chapter eighteen

Warren

Warren

She's smiling at me.

It's a smile that reaches those doe-eyes.

I should kiss her; I want to kiss her.

And not just because I know my parents are going to be entering the kitchen at any moment. I want to kiss her because Easton's stupid words are replaying in my mind again. The bastard was right about Nova. Her stubbornness, boldness, personality, looks – they've all gotten to me. She's different from the other girls I've met, and the thought excites me; makes me feel like I'm about to do something dangerous.

But before I can do anything, Nova turns back to the sink and turns off the tap. "I told Hazel I'd clean the kitchen."

My arms are still wrapped around her waist, allowing me to feel the way her muscles contract as she wets a cloth in hot, soapy water, as she attacks the large pile of dirty dishes that need washing. I can also feel four eyes burning into the back of my head.

Julia and Easton – them being the mysterious guests was a great surprise and I'm happy to see them, but this must be pretty fucking weird for them. If anyone knows how Nova and I really act around each other, it's them.

There's just one problem with their judgemental stares: They haven't been with us for the past week. I know a week isn't a long time, but we've been stuck side-by-side, Nova and I. We were bound to create some type of bond. And I think we have. It's fragile and new, but it's there.

I never expected this to happen – especially with her – and I'm not used to wanting more than a one-night stand with a girl. Do I ask her on a date? Is she interested in me? I can't tell. Nova is like a rollercoaster: there are times where I think she wants more than friendship and does a damn good job of displaying it, and then there are times where we're back to being the roommates that despise each other.

Have girls always been this confusing or have I just been too drunk to notice?

"I'll help you," I say, stepping up beside her. I reach for the dry towel and wait for her to finish the dish she's working on.

If she looks at me, I can't tell. I keep my eyes locked on the view in front of me. There are clouds on the horizon, giving the air an electric feel, but I'm not worried. No matter the weather, the party will continue on. That's how my family and I roll.

"So, ladies?" Easton asks. "Which one?"

I glance over my shoulder, and Julia sends me a bored look. "Yours, Easton, yours."

Everyone's attention hones in on Nova; we're all waiting for her answer, which I can tell she finds ridiculous just by the look on her face. With the side view I have of her face, I also notice how pink her cheeks are.

I frown. Why is she embarrassed? Does she think I have the better body, or is she embarrassed because she doesn't want to hurt my feelings? Damn it. I can usually read a girl like an open picture book. But Nova? Shit, she's like a chapter book written in a different language.