chapter five

Warren

Warren

"Thanks for giving me a ride," I say, reaching for my wallet. It has all the money I'm going to need to casually buy a coffee. And maybe ignite a conversation with Nova. I know I gave her a deadline, but I'm afraid it's too long. Knowing my sister, she'll call me bright and early on Monday morning, ready to plan the trip across Canada for my "girlfriend" and me.

I need an answer as soon as possible.

"Man, I think you're insane for asking someone like Nova Elliot to play make-believe with you. If you haven't noticed, she kinda hates us. You especially," Easton reminds me for the second time. He's my best friend, but he can be an elitist ass sometimes – I don't need to be reminded of my roommate's attitude. She shows it on a daily basis.

"And I will never deny that," I smirk, focusing on the bakery. It's small, with a white and brown colour theme. A large group of people is just stepping out; they take a left and head down the sidewalk toward the grove of cedar trees that line the outskirts of campus. "The only reason she doesn't mind you is because you're in a committed relationship with Julia, who happens to be Nova's best friend. Man, I never pictured the day a girl would have power over you. It's pretty damn sad."

Easton rolls his eyes. "Nova doesn't mind me because I know how to control my dick. Unlike you."

I shrug and step out of the vehicle.

Easton looks at his watch. "Shit. I gotta get going. I promised Julia I'd meet her for dinner with her parents tonight."

"Meeting the girl's parents. Damn. You are so whipped."

"Maybe so," he grins, "but I like the change. It feels good to have someone that actually likes me for who I am."

Now it's my turn to roll my eyes. "All of your lovers eventually fade."

"Keep telling yourself that," he chuckles, shifting to reverse. "For every guy, there's someone out there. She's going to catch you off-guard and send you spiralling. Mark my words." He pauses and looks at the bakery. "Hope I don't come back to campus and have to plan a funeral – Nova is going to be livid."

"Later, East." I shut the door and turn to face the bakery.

Easton is right – Nova is going to kill me for showing up at her work. Like the dorm room once was for me, it's her sanctuary that distracts her from life. I've never liked the busy atmosphere of the bakery, but then again, I'm not her. She always has to have everything planned no matter what. I once caught her pencilling in the words "snack time" when she was studying for final exams. I don't understand how she lives life being so uptight. It's like she has air stuffed up her sexy ass.

I enter the bakery and skip the line, several people cursing me. But I couldn't care less about what they have to say to me. I'm here for more than a mediocre cup of coffee.

Standing in front of Nova, I pull my wallet out and slam a twenty down on the countertop. "One double-double," I say.

"And what size can I get you?" Nova asks without looking up from her flour-dusted apron. She must have been working in the back room this morning, baking cookies or something. Her voice is less harsh than usual and she's also smiling, which is...weird.

"Whatever twenty can get me," I reply smoothly.

Nova's rare smiley face tilts upward, and I watch her big brown eyes take me in. Her eyebrows furrow together and the smile disappears, morphing to the frown I'm familiar with.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she demands.

"Good afternoon to you, too, sweetheart," I drawl.

"I am working," she hisses. "You can't be here."

"As a matter of fact," I say. "I can be here. I want a double-double." I pause and tilt my head to the right so I can get an angular view of her. "Wonder what your boss would say if he or she knew how poorly you were treating an innocent customer like me."

Nova's eyes fill with panic and she shoots a quick glance over her shoulder before grabbing one of the large paper coffee cups from a nearby stack. With a black Sharpie, she writes down my order in perfect cursive writing and then hands it to one of her co-workers. "That'll be $4.95."

I nod at the twenty. "Keep the change."

She glares at me as she taps a few buttons and then places the money in the drawer. "You clearly came here for more than a coffee, Warren, so tell me what you want before I take the risk of kicking your ass and losing my job."

"Feisty little thing," I smirk, leaning against the counter. I hear someone behind me mutter a few explicit words, but I ignore them. "Do you remember my proposal from earlier?"

She nods.

"Well," I continue, "it turns out Monday is no good – I'm going to need an answer by the end of the night. So speed up your decision."

Nova's brown eyes meet mine. "What makes you think I'm considering this deal?"

"You would have flat-out denied me if you didn't think the idea sounded somewhat appealing to those pierced ears of yours." My grin broadens when she reaches up and thumbs one of the black studs. "So, Scotia, tell me: Are you willing to be my fake girlfriend for the summer for a little bit of money?"

Nova snorts as a brown-haired girl reaches around her and places my coffee on the marble countertop. With the lid she's holding, Nova secures it tightly around the rim of the cup and pushes it in my direction. "I will let you know after my shift." Her voice is dangerously low, her glare like ice. "Now take your coffee and get the hell out of here."

I cock an eyebrow and smirk. "Okay, sweetheart. I'll be waiting for you."