chapter one

Biana watched from her balcony as the first of the carriages pulled up to the palace. She had risen early that day, curious as to who would come first. Today her older brother, the crown prince, would be of age, and therefore eligible to marry. Royals and nobles had come from all over the world in hopes that they would be the lucky girl who was chosen to rule alongside Prince Fitzroy, or as Biana preferred to call him, Fitz.

    Those who came early probably wished to make good first impressions. It was widely known that Prince Fitzroy valued organization and promptness, just like his father, King Alden. Biana preferred bravery and intellect, similar to her mother, Queen Della.

    A soft knock on the door pulled Biana from her thoughts. One of her maids, Amy, came in, presumably to help her get ready.

    "Good morning, my Princess. You're up early," Amy remarked as she made her way towards Biana's washroom to draw her bath.

    "I wanted to see who would arrive first," Biana replied, not looking up from the balcony.

    "Oooh! do tell!"

    "Looks like Hekses are the first."

    "Not surprised." Duke Timkin Heks and Duchess Vika Heks were always looking for ways to get closer to the royals. Their daughter, Christina, was even worse.

    "Seems like the Sencens are next." Biana didn't much care for Duke Cassius Sencen or Duchess Gisela Sencen, but their son Keefe was kind, and was good friends with Fitz.

   "I didn't know they had a daughter."

    "They don't. They're probably hoping their son will woo me."

     "But your not of age yet!" Amy seemed scandalized.

      "I don't think they care." Biana would have told Amy that there was no way Keefe Sencen would be able to woo her anyway, but she was did not want to sound rude. He truly was a nice gentleman.

    They played this game for a few more minutes, Biana pointing out different nobles that had arrived, and Amy commenting on them. Eventually, Amy came back into Biana's bedchamber to prepare her for her bath.

   After Amy slipped off Biana's dressing gown, she relaxed into the vanilla and rose scented water as Amy bathed her. When she was done, Biana got out of the bath and Amy wrapped her in a robe, and her dark hair in a towel.

    Biana was still drying off when a familiar voice yelled, "Biana, dearest, are you decent?" from outside of the room.

     "Not at all, you cretin!" She hollered back, earning a giggle from Amy.

   The door slammed open and two girls barged in. It was Biana's closest friends, Duchess Marella Redek and Duchess Linh Song.

     Marella was fierce, and always had something to say, particularly if there was gossip involved. She had a petite figure, and had golden hair that was always in some sort of braid. Her ice blue eyes reminded Biana that she was a cousin of the Sencen's. She was wearing a striking orange dress, which had capped sleeves and a sort of belt of colorful gems at the waist.

   Linh was quieter in comparison to Marella, but that didn't mean she couldn't be feisty when she wanted to. She was tall and willowy, and constantly teased Marella and Biana about how short they were. Her long, jet black hair looked as though the tips had been dipped in silver, which was unusual, but looked gorgeous on her. Linh's silver-blue eyes were the exact shade of her gown, which was long and flowy. It was a bit more like an evening gown than a day dress, but it suited her.

   The three had been best friends since childhood. When they were much younger, Princess Maruca Endal had also played with them, but seeing as her and Biana's kingdom's had been at war for the past ten years, she hadn't been around.

      The two girls mockingly curtsied to Biana. "You may rise, my royal subjects," Biana said in an obnoxious tone.

   Marella playing rolled her eyes. "We weren't bowing to you, obviously. We were bowing to your maid- Amy is it?"

    "Yes," Linh said, nodding. "Princess Amy- what is your surname?"

      "Foster-Ruewen." Amy was grinning widely, and unsuccessfully trying to hide her giggles.

      "Princess Amy Foster-Ruewen of Everglen, we bow to you." Linh curtsied again, but Marella kicked her in the knee causing her to tumble down. Everyone started to laugh so uproariously that it took a full ten minutes before they finally settled down.

       "Wait," Biana said after a moment. "Ruewen- are you by chance related to Sir Jolin Ruewen?" Jolin was a knight who sometimes guarded Biana's door. They had talked before, and were good friends.

      "Yes," Amy answered. "Sh- he's my older brother. We were both sent to the castle to work, and send money to our family."

    "Oh." The conversation reached a lull. Biana couldn't imagine having to work at such a young age. Amy was only twelve!

    After a few awkward seconds of silence, Amy got up and started to walk around and get  things from various drawers that were needed to dress Biana.

"So what are you two doing here, anyway?", Biana asked, breaking the silence. "Here to court my brother?"

"Of course not!" Linh promised. "We simply wanted to see you."

"And go to the ball," Marella added. Although there would be countless celebrations while Fitz chose a bride, the masquerade ball would surely be the crown jewel of it all. Everyone would wear masks and costumes, so it would be impossible to tell who anyone was, and you weren't allowed to talk, as to not reveal who you were.

Biana laughed, then shooed the two girls away. "I must get dressed now. I shall see you two at dinner." Biana wished she could see them sooner, but she had several lessons and meetings she had to go to before dinner, and she doubted she would be able to simply not go.

     Amy unwrapped Biana's hair and robe, and helped her into her under things. After she had put on her corset, Amy pulled out her day dress. It was a beautiful lilac color, and had long, flowing skirts that looked as though they had flowers growing from them. Amy had also found a pair of light purple gloves to match it. They were so long, they almost touched the dress's capped sleeves.

     Once Biana was dressed, she sat by the window watching the carriages arrive as Amy brushed her hair. At one point a carriage pulled in and out came several people that Biana didn't recognize. She assumed they were lower status nobles. But, as the group approached the main doors, Biana could have sworn one of them had brown eyes. But that was impossible. Everyone who was in close enough range to travel to the castle had blue eyes. She had probably just gotten confused.

   Even so, Biana still couldn't shake those brown eyes from her head hours later, when she should have been paying attention to her needle point lesson.

   Dark brown. With golden flecks.

1184 words
I'm really proud of this chapter!