chapter ten

The next morning, Biana woke up at six thirty again. She hadn't made plans with anyone for breakfast, but she wanted to go anyway, as she was still quite worried for Marella.

    Her maids were back, and Elzi helped her into a turquoise gown with fluffy, layered fabric that had small golden flowers embroidered on it. It showed her shoulders, which was a bit scandalous, but Biana had bigger worries at the moment.

    Talulla gave her a simple yet elegant braid crown, with yellow flowers woven into it to it to match the dress.

    She walked to the lounge she and her friends had gone to last time, unfortunately accompanied by Valin. By the time they reached their destination, she had gotten so sick of the drooling that she gave Valin her handkerchief. He clearly needed it more than her.

    Inside the lounge, Biana found that it was empty except for a couple of nobles who were looking at her as if they were trying to figure out how difficult it would be to engage their sons to her. She grabbed some breakfast and sat at a table on the opposite side of the room to them.

    She sat alone for several minutes, quietly eating her food, until Tam Song came in and sat down next to her.

    "Hello," Biana said, trying her best not to be awkward. She and Tam had never talked very much. "How's Keefe?" Tam raised an eyebrow.

    "How would I know?" Oops. She had forgotten that she couldn't mention what she had seen yesterday.

    "Oh, I suppose you wouldn't. I was just curious, since I haven't seen him in a while and I was worried how he was holding up with his mom..." She didn't need to finish the sentence. Tam already knew what she was going to say. With his mom being a traitor.

    "Oh.Yeah. Well I don't know about that, but I think Linh might have talked to him." Just then, the door swung open and Linh herself appeared. "Speak of the devil and he will appear," Biana heard Tam mutter. She smirked.

"Did you just call your sister the devil?" Biana waved to Linh, who had finished getting food and was walking towards them. "Hey Linh! Your brother just mmmmph!" Tam put his hand over Biana's mouth, blocking her from saying anything. So naturally, she licked it.

"Ew!" Tam exclaimed, pulling his hand back. "You are the least mature royal I have ever met."

"Take that back! Linh, tell him- oh, dear. Are you okay?" Linh was wearing a somber expression that washed all of their laughter away.

Linh sat down and shook her head. "No. Mar-Marella. She's gone."

"Wh-What?" Biana said, to stunned to form conherent thoughts. Tam said nothing, but he did scoot a bit closer to his sister.

    "Sh-she kept talking about how 'they' were right, yesterday, but I didn't think much of it. She left me a note, and now she's gone." Linh seemed to be on the verge of a breakdown. Tears were running down her face and she was sniffling. The two nobles across the room were now glaring at them, probably mad that they were disturbing their tranquility.

"Can we see the note?" Biana asked gently, switching seats so that she was next to Linh. Linh nodded and took a crumpled up piece of paper out of her pocket. Tam carefully unfolded it and laid it out so that all of them could read it.

Dearest Linh,

I'm very sorry, but I must leave. An organization reached out to me several months ago. They discovered a problem of mine, and said they could assist me with it. I didn't want to go, but the situation with my mother had shown me it is the best option. For all of us. I can't say much, but I do know members of the organization are in the castle. If you truly need me, they will lead the way. I cannot give any more information, but if you look, you will find it. I- here there was something that was furiously scratched out- hope you can forgive me.

Sincerely,
Marella

They were all silent for a moment, Tam and Biana staring at the letter, and Linh attempting to calm herself down. Eventually Tam spoke, breaking the quiet. "So what are we going to do?"

"Find her," Biana said, in a tone that was a lot more confident than she felt. "And figure out what's going on."

814 words

Hi! This chapter was so fun to write. The plots starting to build up. Did the letter part remind anyone else of Elisabat's letters in Fright, Camera, Action?

Question of the chapter: Since this will probably be the last chapter before Valentine's Day, are you celebrating with someone or will you be eating M&M's in your room alone, like me?