chapter four

When the king and queen were announced, everyone in the room stood up to bow and curtsy. Once they were seated, everyone sat down again. King Alden made a brief announcement, welcoming everyone, made a toast to Fitz and his future wife, and the meal began.

Biana glanced at the girl to her left, who was the only person at the table that she was not already familiar with. "Hello. I don't suppose we have met before?"

  "No, we haven't," the girl said dipping her head slightly. "It is a pleasure to meet you, princess. I am Sophie Foster-Ruewen of Havenfield."

    Biana nodded politely. Lady Edaline and Lord Grady Ruewen of Havenfield were friends of Biana's parents, although they lost most of their wealth several years ago and hadn't attended many social events since. "I believe I've met your parents- wait, Ruewen, did you say? I think I know your sister!"

She had accidentally said that last part a bit to loud, causing the rest of the table to glance at them. The Sencen adults and the Heks family seemed to be having the most polite argument over money Biana had ever seen, while Keefe Sencen and Tam Song were silently staring at each other.

Sophie grinned. "Yes, Amy works here. So does my older brother, actually. He's a palace guard. Jolin? you may have met him. When he was home, he always went to the events, so this is my first time. I'm not completely sure how all of this works," She confessed, tugging on her eyelid.

Biana smiled warmly. "I'll help you figure it out as we go along. Allow me to introduce you to everyone. Everyone, this is Sophie Foster-Ruewen of Havenfield." They all nodded, giving polite smiles.

"This is Tam Song of Choralmere." Tam bowed
his head slightly, then looked as Sophie. He was wearing a mischievous smile, as though he knew a secret. "I believe we have already met."

Sophie nodded, putting her hand on her eyelashes, than quickly pulling it back. "It was that... military conference, was it not?"

"Ooh!" Biana cried, clapping her hands. " Do you suppose my brother was there, being the military leader and all? Alvar, not Fitz."

"I don't think so." At the mention of Alvar, the girl clenched her fist a bit.

"Well," Biana said awkwardly, "This is Lord Cassius, Lady Gisela, and Keefe Sencen. And they are Lord Timkin, Lady Vika, and Stina Heks." They all greeted Sophie politely, to which she responded likewise.

  After the introductions, everyone began to go back to their previous conversations, except Keefe, who began to talk to Sophie.

  "So, Miss Foster-Ruewen, how old are you?"

       "Sixteen."

   "So is Biana! And Stina. Not to forget Sir Bangs, of course. I'm seventeen, though." The bangs comment seemed to cause Tam to blush and grit his teeth simultaneously. Biana was rather sure she had never seen that particular combination before. "Don't call me that."

   "But it's so entertaining!"Keefe protested.

    Biana rolled her eyes, although she she was smiling on the inside, and turned back to Sophie.

    "Are they-?", Sophie began, attempting to hold back a snort.

  "Always like this? Yes, sadly. It's even worse when my brothers are around. Speaking of them, are you planning on trying to become my sister-in-law?"

"What-ohhhh."Sophie seemed to take a second to realize what exactly Biana meant by that. "'No. I came here to represent my family, and figure out what was going on in the kingdom. Our province is quite isolated, you know. If that means I have to pretend to compete for your brother's heart, then so be it."

"That's quite admirable,'" Biana said. "' I'm not sure if I would be able to risk my future in that way."

They were quiet for a moment, thinking about sacrifice and values and such topics. Then Biana smiled. "Sophie Foster- Ruewen, I believe we were meant to be good friends."

Sophie grinned back, looking the least shy she had been throughout the entire dinner. "I believe so, too."

723 words

Sorry this chapter was so late. I'll try to go back to a normal schedule soon. Also I barely edited this chapter, so sorry if there are any spelling mistakes.

question of the chapter: What do you think of Tam and Keefe's relationship?