chapter six

By the time Fitz arrived at her chambers, Biana had already changed in to her nightgown, and was sitting by the fireplace drinking tea and reading a book. "Took you long enough," she said, reluctantly glancing up from her book. It was quite interesting, talking about the theory that some people had secret strange abilities. Biana wondered if she had one.

"Well, I'm terribly sorry for delaying your royal highness, but i had already changed into my dressing gown when your maid came, and then I had to change again."

"You could have just gone out in your dressing gown," Biana pointed out.

"But what if I were to run into a guest? I would be mortified!" Fitz complained, flopping into the chair across from Biana and taking the tea cup she had set out for him.

   Biana sighed. " Whatever. Anyway, how was your time? Who was sitting near you?"

    "It was good, I suppose. I was near your friend Linh. And Dex."

Biana wiggled her eyebrows. "Dex, huh?"

"I will have you beheaded."

"For some reason I doubt that."

They went on like that for a few minutes, bantering back and forth until Biana said, " You know, that's going to be a lot harder to do once your married."

"What is?" Fitz asked, confused.

"'Hanging out' with Dex," Biana replied, sipping her tea. "It will be much more noticeable then. And your wife will obviously notice."

Fitz groaned. "I know. I wish I didn't have to get married. Or that I could marry Dex."

"Me too," Biana agreed. "Well, not about marrying Dex, about not being forced to marry," she corrected.

Fitz snorted. "Please do not marry Dex. So, how was your dinner?"

"Rather good, actually," Biana replied. "I met a girl named Sophie who was quite nice."

"That's good. I think all your other friends are the exact same as they have been since you were three. Well, except Maruca, I suppose."

"Well, it's surprisingly hard to stay friends with someone when your fathers are engaged in a war," Biana remarked.

"You don't say?"

"I do. And I also say you should get out of my room. I'm tired." Biana grabbed the teacup from Fitz's hand and began to shove out of the room.

"Goodnight to you to!," Fitz called as Biana slammed the door in his face.

390 words

so I lied about this chapter being longer. This will probably be the average length of chapters till the plot gets going. Also, in case anyone was confused, Fitz is 18, Dex and Keefe are 17, and most of the other main characters are 16.

question of the chapter: What do you think of Biana and Fitz's dynamic?