chapter two

About thirty minutes before dinner was to begin, Biana and her maids practically jogged back to her chambers. A dull meeting about the kingdom's finances had adjourned later than planned, and they would have to hurry if Biana was to arrive at dinner on time.

The maids who were with her at that moment were Amy, Elzi, and Talulla. She had other maids, of course, but these three had been with her the longest and she trusted them the most. Elzi and Talulla hadn't been there that morning, as they were working on some final touches for one of her gowns. Recently they had more work than usual on that front. With all the festivities coming up, Biana would need several dresses a day.

When they finally reached Biana's chambers, she was panting slightly. Some of Amy's had fallen out of its bun, and Elzi's dark hair had completely come out of it, falling down her back in braids. Biana was sure her elaborate hairstyle was at least somewhat disheveled, though the pins Amy had piled into it probably kept it at least somewhat together. The only one who's hair had completely survived was Talulla's, not one of her sleek black hairs out of place. If Biana hadn't known better, she might have called it witchcraft. The girl could transform the most unruly locks into a glorious updo. 

     As the girls caught their breath, Biana noticed the bemused guard posted in front of her door. She dipped her head slightly. "Sir Jolin."

    Jolin bowed deeply, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "Princess. It seems you are in a hurry," he teased.

   Biana nodded, grinning slightly. "I do seem to be. And I also seem to know that the seamstress is getting rid of a particularly gorgeous gown tonight. It's lavender." Jolin had a particular interest in fashion, so whenever Biana heard an old dress was getting thrown away, she would tip Jolin off so that he could collect it.

     A smile grew on Jolin's face, a smile of pure, genuine happiness. "Lavender is the best color."

    "It is," Biana agreed. She gave a slight gesture of her hand, And Jolin stepped away, allowing the four passage into Biana's chambers.

   Once they were all in and the door had been closed,   each of her maids gave Biana a low curtsy before they set to work unpinning her hair.

     "Why is Prince Fitzroy being crowned, anyway? He's hardly the firstborn," Elzi questioned as she pulled off Biana's dress.

    "Prince Alvar stepped down to lead the military," Tallula reminded her as she got out new underthings. "At least, that is what I have heard." She glanced at Biana for confirmation.

     Biana nodded. " It 'twas a good thing he did, with this war."

   "Frankly, he seems a bit too aggressive to rule a kingdom as well," Amy remarked, then caught the horrified looks of Elzi and Talulla, and realized her mistake. She quickly dipped into a curtsy that was so low Biana could barely see her red face as she cried, "No offense meant, my princess!"

   Biana smiled gently at the girl, in an attempt to soothe her. "Don't worry, Amy. I actually agree. Alvar is better suited as commander rather than a king. It's fine, though. He is perfectly happy with his position and that is all that matters."

    Amy nodded her agreement, her face still flushed red, and bent down to adjust Biana's stockings, while the other two girls pulled out the main gown. It was a beautiful teal color, perfectly matching Biana's eyes, and the fabric flowed as if from a fountain. It was a bit more understated than Biana's usual style, but still extremely elegant. Linh would have adored it.

"Do you suppose that your parents might engage you during the festivities? It would be a perfect time to do so," Elzi asked as she and the other maids helped Biana into her gown and began to work on her hair.

     "Frankly, I'm not sure. I suppose it would make sense, though." Biana honestly had never even considered the possibility. She knew, of course, that she would have to be engaged eventually, but it felt much to soon. She still remembered being Amy's age, trying to haggle the extra deserts out of the cooks, as though it was yesterday.

    While Biana thought, her maids finished dressing her. The dress was even more gorgeous once it was paired with the elaborate fishtail braid Talulla had done with her hair. Biana felt as if she was a mermaid.

There was little time to admire her maid's handiwork, though. It was almost time for the dinner, and Biana's chambers were quite a walk from the dining area that was to be used. The guards seemed to have changed shifts, so instead of Jolin, she was escorted by a rather greasy young guard named Valin. Biana was slightly concerned that he might drool on her gown.

After a walk that felt painstakingly long but was probably just a few ticks of the clock, Biana reached her destination and could finally be free of Valin. King Alden, Queen Della, Prince Alvar, Princess Genevieve, and Prince Fitz were already there. The guests were being announced from a stairway that was on the opposite side of the room from the one were the royal Family was to enter from. They were only to enter after all the guests had came in and found their seats.

As soon as Biana came in, Genevieve rushed to embrace her. The two were rather close, and they hadn't seen eachother since before Genevieve and Alvar's honeymoon, which had been several weeks long. They had just came back the day before as to
support Fitz.

Genevieve was shy, but one of the the kindest people Biana had ever met. She was so different from Alvar, the two made quite a curious couple. They seemed to truly love each other, though.

"Thank goodness your here," Fitz said as soon as Biana and Genevieve released her. "Now you can share in the lecture of having to mingle with the suitors."

Biana frowned. "How are we to do that? Won't we be sitting away from the guests as usual?"

Alden shook his head. "Me, your mother, Alvar, and Genevieve will be, but you and Fitz will be seated around the room. Fitz, to get a head start on finding a suitor, and for you to see if their are any good candidates for engagement."

Biana inwardly groaned. Fitz would do quite well, he could charm anyone with a single smile. Biana, however, was not always the best with new people.

They chatted for a few more minutes when Biana heard the announcer say, "Thank you, esteemed guests. And now, may I present the royal family!"

As if on cue, Biana held out her hand. Fitz took it. They held each other's gaze for a moment, knowing that nothing in their world would ever be the same. Then together, they walked towards the stairway, turning to face the room full of guests, as had been planned.

"May I present Prince Fitzroy Avery Vacker, and Princess Biana Amberly Vacker!"

Then together, the two siblings walked down the stairway, stepping into the next phase of their lives.

1206 words
How'd I do on making elvin names?