chapter eight

Sophie cursed, muttering something under her breath. "I thought we'd have more time.."

    Biana ignored her, glancing between her friends and the guard. "Will you be alright?" she finally asked them.

    "We'll be fine," Linh promised. "But right now you need to go."

    Biana nodded and quickly followed the guard out the door. He was going at a brisk pace, which Biana struggled to match in her high heels and long skirts. Outside the lounge, guards were shepherding confused guests into the closets rooms.

"Where are we going?" Biana asked. Although there had been several attacks on the castle in recent years, due to the fact that there kingdom was currently in a war and the several rebel groups, the royal family was almost always sent to a different spot, so it would be difficult to find them. The guard did not reply, instead shoving her into a wall. The bricks came backwards, revealing a secret passage way. It was narrow, only wide enough for one person at a time. The guard went first, taking off his helmet as he did so. Not all guards chose to wear a helmet, but some did, particularly in dangerous situations. Under the helmet was a head of familiar auburn locks.

"Dex!" Biana cried, clapping her hands. She had almost forgotten the boy was a member of the royal guard. Although he was noble, he preferred defending his kingdom to politely talking about the weather at dinner parties. Frankly, Biana could relate, although unlike Dex, she didn't have much of a choice.

Dex grinned at Biana, opening a doorway that led to a long, narrow stairway.

"Hey Bi," he said, easily going down the stairway, unlike Biana, who was struggling immensely in her high heels. She silently hoped that he would trip.

"Fitz sent me to get you," he explained, blushing slightly at the mention of the prince's name.

Biana smirked. "I see." The had  reached a plain, wooden door. Dex pulled it open, revealing a a room with stone walls and no windows that contained the rest of the royal family. A couple mattresses and chairs had been pushed against one wall, another wall was lined with crates, probably with supplies in case they were stuck down here for a while. Alden, Alvar, and Della where sitting in the chairs, having a conversation in hushed tones. Genevieve was pacing the room, her heels clicking against the stone floor, muttering things Biana could not hear. Fitz was leaning against the wall. He must have been running his hand through his hair quite a lot, as it was sticking up in wild spikes. When he saw them, a bit of tension leaving his features.

Dex and Biana went to wear he was leaning against the wall. After a bit of asking if they were ok, and if anyone had hurt, Dex and Ditz began going on to other topics and Biana went over to we're her parents, brother, and now Genevieve, who had finally stopped pacing, sat.

"Who was it this time?" Biana asked, taking a seat next to Genevieve.

"Neverseen," her sister in law replied, and Biana internally winced. No wonder Genevieve was so worried. That group had killed her parents, making her and her little sister orphans.

"It's not as bad as it looks," Alden promised. "No reason to worry."

"That is the reason to worry," Alvar argued. "They're using this as a warning. If they don't get what they want, it is going to be a lot worse."

Della, who had been silent for most of the conversation, began to speak. "Well, what do they want?" she asked. "Surely it can't be that bad."

Alvar took in a deep breath, as if what he was about to say would require a lot of energy. "The kingdom," he finally said. "They want the kingdom."

641 words

I couldn't think of a question for this chapter, sorry.