Chapter 1

This story and it's settings have been recreated in a 1.17 Minecraft world, for added atmosphere.

"You can't be serious."

"If you ever set foot in the Dream SMP or any of its surrounding countries, you will be executed."

"Why keep me here? Why not just put me in that massive prison of yours?"

"That prison was never built to keep you of all people. But if you keep trying my patience, I just might make you a cell."

"Just go. You got what you want, I'm far from your precious country. Just leave me here and never come back."

"You know I can't do that."

"That blizzard outside is almost as cold as you are, Dream. You walk in here, and it's like all the warmth just disappears. One day, you'll catch a cold from that ice you've festered in your heart."

"There will come a day when you, too, learn to become heartless to protect yourself."

What did I ever do to deserve this?

*

"From today forth, you are banished from the Dream SMP. Any properties to your name will be turned over to the country, and any belongings that do not leave the lands with you will be auctioned off to the public. You have until sunset to leave the lands or face a far more gruesome fate."

My off-handed response of how they can't be serious is met with ice-cold seriousness.

How did it come to this? What did I ever do to deserve being thrown out of my home?

I'm a good person. I've been here far longer than most of the people living here. I've helped out with a good many builds, I even helped renovate the community house a few times.

So, why am I being exiled in the same way they did Tommy? I didn't burn down anyone's home. I didn't steal from anyone. I've never griefed or stolen a single item before in my life!

I thought Dream was my friend. He was the first one to greet me upon my arrival, all that time ago. He was there the moment I arrived, he even sheltered me in the beginnings of the community house.

But the man standing beside the king, cold and uncaring as the king of the country named after him that announces my punishment for crimes that I never committed, is no friend of mine.

Not anymore, anyways.

Neither are the ones who look on instead of helping as Dream all but drags me to the Nether Portal after the rulings. The onlookers will probably not even miss me, judging by how quick they look away and don't even try to help.

As Dream "escorts" me through the nether towards who knows where with nothing but meager supplies on my back, I begin to wonder if maybe it was one of them who set me up.

The people who I once called friends but didn't even try to save me when I was obviously innocent of whatever crimes they claim I did.

"If you ever set foot in the Dream SMP or any of its surrounding countries, you will be executed." Dream announced suddenly as he led me off into the unknown of the Nether. Far past areas traversed by normal day come and go.

Long past the point of friendliness to the man who long ago invited me into his lands, the roll of my eyes felt natural.

The glare too when I turned to him as his hand clamped down on my elbow, pulling my gaze to his own cold gaze behind that ironic, friendly smiling mask.