Chapter 10

It feels like it took everything in me to stay quiet and hidden when Dream came out looking for me.

My polar bears were kind enough to lay around me, so I ducked behind them when he came near the barn.

I stayed hiding among the polar bears and dirt until long past Dream's voice drifting away on the cold wind. Broken hearted, I don't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing just how deeply he's hurt me or the opening to manipulate me to his whim.

By the time I leave the barn, the snow has stopped at least.

The storm has passed here, but not in my heart. There it's likely to be roaring for a long while.

I lock the door behind me when I retreat back to my cabin. Ranboo's book still clutched to my chest, I go downstairs to hide in my farm.

I don't want to go near my loft, or my couch.

Just blinking brings back the feeling of him against me, of his arms holding me.

I don't want that of a man who doesn't feel the same way about me that I do about him.

*

My eyes still burn as I retreat once more into the comfort of my cabin, this time with one of Ranboo's books from my vault.

He gave me this because of the Enderwalking, maybe I can decipher the book he tossed before he left this morning.

It's not like I'll be sleeping tonight, anyways.

Hiding down in my farm once again, I lay out the hastily scribbled book from this morning with the neat, worn one he'd given me to help teach me Enderspeak.

Haven't touched it since I put it in the vault, so I've done such a good job of learning his sleepwalk language.

Some of the symbols look like others, and others take me a while to even decipher because of how sloppy his handwriting was in his haste, but within an hour I have one page down at least.

And my heart sinks, because it's all basically the same phrase scratched into the paper again and again.

"Why him? Why him? Why him? Why him? Why HIM?! WHY HIM?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!"

I can only guess who him is, based on knowing who it is that usually gets Ranboo anxious and frazzled.

But at the same time, could it be referring to Technoblade? Dream said he was a part of the plot, but...can I really trust him on that?

Especially after how he so willingly played with my heart?

I flip to the next page, only to choke back more tears at seeing it's a repeat of the last. Ranboo, what is going on with you?

Flipping another page, only one sentence of this page is the same as the others. So, I start deciphering again.

Symbol by symbol, it's gonna take me a while to learn this and decipher the sloppy handwriting in the book.

"First Tommy, then Technoblade, now her? Why? What's he going to do to her?" What does he mean by that?

"I didn't want to. I didn't want to do it. I didn't want it, but I can't let the others know I'm glad he managed to escape." Is he referring to Technoblade?

If I'm right, and he's referring to Techno, then that must mean he didn't want to be a part of the plot. He's not that kind of person, he doesn't want to hurt others.

"He promised me. He promised. He promised. HE BROKE HIS PROMISE! HE LIED!"

"He's gone. He's gone. He's gone. He's gone. He's gone. He's gone. HE'S GONE!"