Chapter 24

"Walk with the platform." I'm more than happy this time to follow along with Sam's instructions, giddy almost.

Control yourself. Don't let them know how you really feel.

"I'll lower the lava back down behind you before you can begin your visit with the prisoner. Call for me when you're ready to leave."

The way across the expanse of lava feels slowed by the masked eyes that watch me the entire way, ignite more warmth in me than the heat of the lava can ever hope to.

By the time I reach the cell, it feels like hours have passed just being under his gaze again for the first time in too long.

Standing with a barrier of Netherite blocks separating us as the platform starts to move back towards Sam is like torture though, being so close but unable to do anything about it.

I don't say anything though, just wait as the lava spills back down behind me and Dream stands literally so close, I could just reach over the blocks and touch him.

When the lava finally encloses the dreadful cell once more, the moment the barrier falls I can't help myself.

I throw myself at him just for him to catch me and wrap his own arms around my lower back.

Eyes burning with tears for probably the thousandth time since he's been taken away, I don't try to hold them back and just let them out onto his shoulder.

"You're here." Dream's voice makes my throat tighten with a restrained sob; never would I have thought I'd miss someone's voice more than his when he'd been taken.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

I can hear the same pain in his voice that I feel, wondering if he's crying as well behind that stupid mask that separates us.

"It's been over a month."

"I couldn't get here any sooner. They wouldn't let me, I wanted to be here before anyone else." The flame fanning in my chest over knowing both Tommy and Enderwalking Ranboo got to see him before me tries to consume my relief with anger.

But I take a deep breath, like Techno and Phil have been working with me on and suppress all my anger in favor of focusing on the man capable of helping me feel more than just that or sadness.

"I thought you didn't want to see me."

I pull back from our hug, well try because his arms don't give me much room to move and look up to meet a watery green gaze through his mask.

The smile that stretches over my lips almost hurts, so wide and happy to just see him. Just see he's okay, even if he looks roughed up.

At least he's alive.

I reach up and shove his mask away without a thought, to which he answers by immediately dipping down and slotting his lips over mine like I've only been able to dream of.

For the first time, his cool personality is a good thing. Because it cools the fires that have been raging inside of me since he was taken away. A relief that makes even more tears spill free from my eyes.

I grip him by the sides of his face to stop him when he starts to pull back, not willing to let go just yet.

I only let his face go when he presses me against the obsidian wall of his prison cell, cages me in like he used to do.

Like I've wished for every night when he would usually come home but couldn't because he's imprisoned in here.

"I'm so happy to see you." I admit quietly when his forehead presses to mine, eyes staying shut just to enjoy the feeling of him again.