Chapter 4 (part2)

Chapter 4 (part2)

 After we left Miss Harrison's house, with my dress all wrapped up, mother and I headed back home so I could get my hair and makeup done and out of the way. It was three o' clock already. Part of me was dreading to return to that house...when I left earlier, I didn't even care how Emilee would feel about me ditching her to stay home, but now I know she'll probably be more angry than upset.

I set myself up for this, so I might as well pull it together and face it like a big girl. 

I strolled into the house, not paying attention to anything else except the on route path to my bed room. I stumbled back in shock a few steps as I rounded the corner at the top of the stairs and practically smashed into a petite body. Of course it Emilee... it can never be my dad, or even Ryder...

 I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her, instead I  just stepped around her and proceeded onward to my room. I really needed to start getting ready; I had two hours. I didn't have the time, nor did I feel like approaching Emilee.

I ground out an agitated growl as Emilee's hand latched around my wrist, forcing me to a halt. I glared over my shoulder at her, and she eased up her hold on me.

"I need to get ready..." I warned her. She didn't seem phased, she just stared at me, her eyes analyzing my expression and my eyes before she spoke,

"I know this. I'd like to help you with your make up, if that's quite alright with you..." She cautiously asked in a hopeful manor. I just sighed heavily and she released me. "Can I see your dress?" She asked. I tried to keep myself in control; my family must've enjoyed pushing my buttons when I was already in a pissy mood.

I continued on my way to my room, not even answering Emilee. I gently laid the bag containing my dress on my comforter and walked over to my hopechest and sat on it, examining my tired face in my mirror. I grabbed some eyeshadow, and figured I'd start on my eyes. Emilee stood in my doorway, not taking her eyes off of me.

"Can I help you?" I asked nonchalantly, lightly brushing a silver powder over my right eyelid.

"Want some help?" I disregarded her, once again. I swiped the eyeshadow over my left eyelid, cursing under my breath as I stroked it too far across my eye.

I heard Emilee snicker.

"I don't need your help." I spat.

Emilee hushed herself quickly, and I looked at her in the mirror, as I wiped away my eyeshadow. She said nothing as she approached me and gently took the eyeshadow brush from my fingertips. She motioned for me to turn in my chair towards her, quietly, I obliged. I felt the tickle of the brush against my lid, and I winced at the sensitive reaction of my eye. Emilee pulled away shortly so I could blink and continued another stroke over the original.

"There," she started, putting the little brush down. "Beautiful. What's next? Eyeliner? Or mascara?" Her fingers hovered over the mascara and the eyeliner pencil. I picked up the eyeliner with my hand and gave it to her. She smiled, clearly satisfied that I as letting her help me to prepare myself for my Gathering. As she colored in the thin line of skin on the bottom of my eye, I stared into her chocolate brown eyes.  Specks of gold flashed from the light as she tilted her head.