Chapter 12

Chapter 12

After watching Jason and Gabriel shake hands and walk away like reunited childhood friends, I couldn't help but stay frozen in my spot. Jennette continued rambling on about how excited she was to have Gabriel in the pack. I, however, was biting my tongue to disagree.

I probably shouldn't have lied to Jason about Gabriel, because if I was caught in my lie sometime in the future, I could only wonder how merciful Jason would be on Gabriel, and me. I continuously reminded myself that because I was Jason's mate, he wouldn't dare lay a finger on me...right?

'Not in a painful way...' My wolf spoke into my thoughts. I rolled my eyes inwardly and shifted on my feet, anxiously nibbling on my nails as I lost sight of Gabriel and Jason. Oh no, I thought. What if Gabriel and Jason got to talking? What if Gabriel mentioned who exactly he had been to me? I was quite surprised when Jason hadn't recognized Gabriel, even though his face was still fairly bruised. Although, when Jennette had introduced the I could see the shock and growing nervousness in Gabriel's facial features. Maybe Gabriel won't say anything at all, for both of our benefits.

I sighed to myself, knowing that absolutely nothing good was going to come out of this...lying to Jason, that is. I was doing something completely stupid, and by furthering my lie I was digging myself a deeper hole. Now, I had to keep this lie going, which meant I couldn't risk Gabriel slipping anything out to Jennette. She seemed like a very loyal member of Grey Skin.

I wasn't too happy that fate would be so cruel as to match Gabriel with a mate so close within my new pack. Lying to Jason was bad, but would Jason take his fury out on Jennette, too? She was too innocent in all of this, and the last thing I wanted was for her to get hurt with this outcome.

I concluded that I would have to muster up the courage to talk to Gabriel, whether I wanted to or not. This was the chance for the Gabriel and I to start our lives with our mates, and I was putting that hope in danger.

Despite his nervousness, Gabriel looked...happy standing next to Jennette not too long ago. Happier than he did with me...and I'd never be able to live with myself if I was the reason behind something happening to them all because Jason's temper could spiral out of control. Because of me. Because of my lies.

The thought twisted in my stomach and I felt a sudden sickness wash over me. Could I ruin someone's life? Just like that? Panic stirred within me and my chest tightened up. I backed into a table when I noticed my vision spun around me. My breathing hiked and I gripped my chest, panting. I spun around to make a run for it, I needed to calm down and keep it together. Maybe I needed to splash some cold water on my face or something. Instead I bumped into a rock hard chest, and bounced back.

I held my breath and steadied myself. I looked up at the figure before me and felt the color drain from my face. It was Derreck, Jason's beta.

"Luna, is everything alright?" He asked deeply, holding my upper arm to support me. I nodded quickly, non-chalantly waving my hand in mid-air to shoo him off.

"I'm fine, Derreck, thanks. Do you know where Jason is?" I asked, now not even spotting my tall, bronzed mate. I stepped passed Derreck and searched for any sign of Jason or Gabriel. What if Jason was gouging out Gabriel's organs right now? I silently gasped and turned back to Derreck, who was also looking around seriously.

"Most likely back to his office, he's probably discussing a few things with that mate of Jennette's. That's why I'm here, he gave me orders to keep and eye on you and make sure you stay out of trouble. I really do hope the kid can fight, because I know for sure Jason's going to test that omega out." He snickered to himself once he finished speaking. I swallowed back my fear.

"What do you think Jason will make Gabriel do?" I asked, cautiously. I must have given off some sort of hint, because Derreck stared at me suspiciously. Curiosity was displayed clearly across his features.

Derreck crossed his tan arms over his stomach casually, "What he makes any new pack member do. Train and fight other members of the pack. It's a test of strength and agility..." I mentally cursed. Gabriel was a goofball, and not the least bit agile. He'd have his ass handed to him! Until the night of The Gathering, I'd never seen Gabriel actually fight.

"Do the pack members take it easy with new members?" I didn't realize how stupid I sounded until the words actually flew passed my lips. This was Grey Skin pack; fiercest pack on the Coast, they never go easy.

"You never got out much, did you?" Derreck grinned and nodded his head for me to follow him. We squeezed through the crowd of people, and Derreck dismissed anyone who tried to make polite conversation with me.

"What do you mean?" I asked slowly. Derreck continued walking and I struggled to keep up with him. We were now out of the living room and walking down the hallway.

"Any pack initiation results in training, and a fight against the Alpha. Once again, it's all a strength test, to see what can be improved upon to make a better warrior." Fear surged through me. No way Gabriel could go against Jason. Jason nearly killed him once already...

"Does Jason hurt them?" Derreck looked at me confused. "The newer pack members...when they fight does he hurt them severely, while testing their...strengths?"

Derreck smirked. "Jason's not weak. He could rip apart ten wolves at once if he needed to. He could "severely" hurt them, as you put it...but, he wouldn't. They're new. And a new addition to the pack if they are courageous enough. I hope that kid's ready, he'll be in for the fight of his life." He scoffed and crossed his arms over his stomach, stopping in front of the giant mahogany door that led to Jason's office.

"Thanks for the fill-in, Derreck." I sighed, turning to knock on the door.

"Yes, Luna." I rolled my eyes and glared at him over my shoulder.

"Cassie." I stated blankly.

"Not in this pack." He said before walking away. I was so anxious to get into the office I completely disregarded knocking and pushed open the doors. Jason was sitting in his leather chair, behind his desk, elbows resting on the fine wood of the desk. Gabriel was sitting adjacent to him, legs crossed casually in one of the two leather chairs.

"Cassie." Jason stated, surprised. He stood up and walked over to me, capturing my face between his palms and pulling me into a heart stopping kiss. When he pulled away, leaving my lips bare, he asked, "What are you doing here?"

I licked my bottom lip, savoring the taste that was Jason's mouth. "I-I missed you." I looked up at him through my thick lashes and batted my eyes innocently. "I also wanted to do a sit in with you." I looked over his shoulder at Gabriel, who tried to keep his prying eyes off us.

Jason caressed my cheek with his knuckles, a grin forming on the corner of his mouth. "That's fine, darling." His warm breath fanned over my nose, sending pleasurable shivers all throughout my body. Jason separated himself from me, allowing me to take a seat in the seat beside Gabriel. Jason sat back at his desk and leaned back, looking at Gabriel.

His eyes were still the perfect mix of mossy green, and his cheeks were filled with color along with the slight bruising on the sides of his face. His hair had looked like it had grown a bit shaggier, but still well kept and dark. He looked better, and I was glad. I just hoped he'd still look like this after a match with Jason.

"Gabriel, will you be ready tomorrow afternoon to begin training? My beta will assist you." Jason said. My eyes widened a bit and I crossed my arms over my chest, eyeing Gabriel quietly. Gabriel's chest rose and fell at a steady pace. His hands clenched the armrests of the leather love seat he was sitting in.

"Yes, Alpha." He grumbled out. Jason smiled in approval and reached down for my hand, but I lightly jerked away. Jason frowned and looked towards Gabriel.

"You can leave, Gabriel. Enjoy the rest of your evening and rest up, you're in for a brutal training session with the Beta. He'll push you to your limits...and so will I." Jason smirked and Gabriel nodded, standing up and shaking Jason's hand. Gabriel bowed his head at me, and I felt a pang in my chest when he didn't look up at me. Gabriel made his way out the door of Jason's office, leaving us alone.

My brow furrowed and I bit the inside of my cheek anxiously. Jason made a move to wrap his arms around me, but I stepped away. "Why are you forcing him to fight?" I asked harshly. Jason looked at me surprised by my outburst. "He could get hurt. Then what is he to you?"

Jason licked his lips, sparking the need for me watch the movement of his tongue before his voice stole my attention.

"All new pack members need to be tested on their ability. What good is Gabriel to the pack, to us, if we don't know what he's good for?" This sparked anger in me. Gabriel wasn't a pansy. He could fend for himself, I'm sure.

"Oh so you're willing to "push them to their limitations"? Are you thinking about if anyone got hurt?" I asked as if Jason were oblivious. Right now I was starting to question if he was.

"Grey Skin doesn't tolerate anything less than power. Cassie, all I need to see is how good the kid can fight." Jason outstretched his arms and stepped towards me, but I took two steps back.

"Kid?" I laughed. "He's our age, Jason!"

Jason grinned. "He's a pup compared to me." I raised an eyebrow.

"What, just because you're an Alpha? Jason, that is so narcissistic of you! Thinking everyone else around you is a mere pup just because they aren't as high ranking as you! Technically, compared to you...you would consider me a pup." I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at the book shelf as if in interest.

Jason took two large steps forward, intimidatingly staring down at me. I shrunk back and stared up into his eyes. "Angel, you're the only one who deserves to be treated as my equal." He pecked my lips, hovering over them when he pulled back.

I went to turn away which received a growl from him and a yelp from me as he kiss the back of my neck.

"You're only saying that because I'm your mate. What if I wasn't? You'd treat me just as anyone else." I announced truthfully. I crooked my neck to look up at him, and I saw a flash of concern pass in his eyes.

"Maybe so. That's not the case though, darling."

My brows furrowed and I pushed out of his embrace. His eyes darkened and his face hardened at my rejection.

"And if it was?" I asked, almost in a whisper. His chest rose and fell steadily as he kept his eyes on me. I sighed and looked to the ground, curling my toes within my heels. I regretted the fact that my paranoia decided to act up and force my tongue to speak my fears. Jason wasn't going to lie to me, and I knew by making such a statement I had already known the answer.

"I'd still love you, mate or not, you're beautiful." Jason walked over to me, taking me into his arms and rocking me like a child against his chest. I didn't push him away. I didn't argue that things would be different because the circumstances weren't different. He was my mate and nothing was going to change that. "I should have Derreck bring you back up to our room. I'm sure meeting all the pack members made you extremely tired and cranky," he chuckled.. "Angel, get some rest."

Jason kissed my forehead and gave me a small smack on the butt. I glared at him, but then smiled playfully at my gorgeous looking mate.

"I have work, angel. Go back to our room." I pulled away and walked towards the front of his office. I looked over my shoulder to see Jason's dark eyes on my ass. I whistled and his eyes shot up at me; large black orbs.

"Eyes up here," I grinned and pointed to my eyes. As I turned away, I could sense Jason's irritation, and I heard the low rumble in his throat. I smirked and opened the door, closing it behind me. I leaned up against the dark wood and sighed happily. My wolf was rejoiced at my becoming acceptance of Jason as our mate. I was growing intense feelings that I didn't want to fight. Jason was gorgeous, and an absolute charmer with his actions. He was undeniable. He was mine.

'Ours...' My wolf growled in my mind. I nodded and mumbled, "Yes, ours."

Walking down the elegant hallway thatIi was yet to be familiar with, I rounded the corner bumping into a tall figures back. I jumped back a few inches and watched as Gabriel turn around. I stared at him all bug eyed for a few seconds and watched him lift his fist to his mouth and uncomfortably clear his throat.

"Lu-" I held up my hand and tried to catch my breath. I needed to speak to Gabriel about all of this. I wanted to make sure he wouldn't let anything slip out to anyone, including Jennette.

I reached down for his arm and started pulling him. I shivered when i felt his breath on the tip of my ear.

"Where are we going?" He asked nervously. I hushed him with a hiss of my mouth and tugged him along faster. I found a screen door leading to the backyard at the other side of the kitchen. I pushed him forward and closed the screen door behind us, pushing him to the side of the house where we weren't in front of glass.

"I needed to talk to you alone. I promise it won't take too much of your time." I gave him a look of desperation and he nodded, looking around him to make sure no one could be eavesdropping. "I just want to make sure you know you can't say anything...and I mean anything about us. Or at least our past together. I'm afraid about what Jason will do...to you...if he finds out." I crossed my ars over my chest, examining him closer now. Before I only made small eye contact. Now that we were having a conversation, up close, I could take in the beauty of his eyes again. A dark jungle green with specks of blue. I loved his eyes. I snapped myself out of the trance I was in and blinked a few times.

Gabriel shoved his hands into his jean pockets. "I wasn't planning on saying anything, not even to Jennette," I sighed in relief. "Frankly, your mate scares the shit out of me. He already beat my ass once. I don't want him coming close to killing me this time, especially if I have to train to go against him to stay in this pack," He paused and looked me in the eyes, "to stay close to Jennette. She's become my everything in the short amount of time I've had her. I can't lose her, Cassie. I definitely don't want to give any male the idea that I'm up for high-jacking mates."

My heartbeat slowed back to its normal pace as Gabriel reluctantly reassured me. A feeling of awe gripped my heart when he told me how much he needed Jennette. She's a cute girl and I was genuinely happy for him.

"This is our secret." I proclaimed. Gabriel smiled and nodded firmly.

"You have no fears, Cass-Luna." I chuckled and shook my head.

"Please don't address me by that title. I hate it. Jason demands that every member of the pack say it out of respect, but it feels weird. It's not me." Gabriel flashed me a charming smile and scratched his forehead.

"You like casual. Just tell the Alpha that." I raised an eyebrow at him.

"And what, cause World War III? I don't want to be an annoying mate. I want to give this a chance." When I was first claimed by Jason I resented it greatly, but being around him more...yes, he's apt for respect and order but he's sweet and he seems to want a wonderful relationship with me. I would be willing to tear down my walls.

"Voicing your opinions is a big deal, Cassie. Alpha or not, he's your mate. He's made for you. Therefore, he respects you." Gabriel stared deeply into my eyes as he spoke. I missed his words of kindness, and as thankful as I was to have him near-by, I was somewhat fearful of him being at such a close proximity.

I wanted Jason at a close proximity, a very close proximity. While he's tending to his "Alpha duties" I'm sitting here, acting uselessly. I-I feel like I should be doing more as his Luna. The pack's Luna..." I leaned back against the siding of the house and threw my hands to my sides as a sign of defeat. I wanted to prove to the pack that I was a Luna worth something. I wanted Jason to see it. In a way, I was scouting to make an impression.

I never expected myself to be hiding out away from the rest of the pack, sneaking a dangerous conversation with Gabriel, but I was sort of relieved to have someone to confide in. I trust Gabriel and I respect that he's here. Suddenly my mind wanders to his upcoming training and test run against Jason.

I look over at him, "What's your strategy for going against Jason this time?" I cross my arms over my chest and smirk at his bemused facial expression. "He already kicked your ass once, he could do it again." I joke, shooting him a wink. Gabriel grins and shoves his hands into his jean pockets.

"I'm going to try to watch his movements. I just attacked before, and I didn't study him too well..." I watch Gabriel scratch his cheek, and I watch his rough fingers graze his chin softly in thought .

"Just be careful. I don't want to watch my mate nearly kill you...again." I chuckle to myself and push away from the house when I hear voices. I pretend to be casually walking by Gabriel as two pack members walk by, enthralled by their conversations about battle tactics. I watch them round the corner of the house, and I turn back to a grinning Gabriel, who is slumping against coffee table.

"Why are you so on edge, Luna? Don't want the pack seeing me near you?" Gabriel questions skeptically. "They don't know who we are, Cassie. They don't know our background. You may be the Luna but you're just as much of stranger to this pack as I am. We're mysterious," Gabriel rubs his hands together mischievously. "To half the people in this house, we're just two pack members having a casual chat about Goddess knows what...weather, other packs, our dirty fantasies." My eyes widen in shock when Gabriel reveals his last choice of topic and my mouth drops.

I can't help but giggle, "That's innapropriate, pup." I watch in amusement as his eyebrows shoot up and he trudges towards me slowly.

"Pup?" He asks shockingly. "Pup's are innocent and small, Cassie dear. I am in no way, shape, or form a pup." I smile at his attempts to sound threatening. I know the silly side of Gabriel too well to take him seriously.

"Yes, pup, I'm at a higher rank, therefore you are a mere pup to me." I smile like a fool while Gabriel's eyes look almost flared with embarrassment. You must never insult a he wolf's pride or title. I throw my hands up in surrender. "I'm messing with you, relax killer." I reach up on my tipy toes and shimmy my fingers through Gabriel's hair, cooing at him.

"Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?" I mock him childishly and he gently swats my hand away. Gabriel and I decide we're in the clear and make our way back into the house and start saying our goodbyes. "Be a good boy." I joked and pointed at him. Gabriel rolled his eyes.

"Be a good Luna, so your mate doesn't punish you for his own sadistic pleasures." I cringe at that.

"Gabriel, shut your mouth or I'll make you jog ten miles."

"You can't make me." He stuck his tongue out at me and I laughed.

"I'm a Luna," I pointed at myself, outlining the image of a halo atop my head, "I get whatever I want." I teased. Gabriel frowned.

"You misuse your power, that's wrong. Shouldn't Luna's know best?"

"This Luna is still learning the ropes."

Gabriel walked towards the foyer while I lurked in the kitchen, opening cabinets and examining ladles and cheese graters out of boredom. So, this is what Luna's do? I mentally ask myself, almost making myself laugh with my intense mental sarcasm. I back away and jump in shock when I bump into something firm, yet squishy. It definitely was not a kitchen counter. I look over my shoulder and blush at the sight of my handsome mate.

Jason encircled his arms around my waist and nuzzled his nose into the nape of my neck. He tugged me back against his chest tightly, and I happily obliged. Every time he pulled me into his arms I fet so secure and my wolf was calm and joyful.

"I thought you had work." I spoke carefully, setting the cheese grater down and lying my hands over his on my stomach. I shivered happily as Jason planted hot kisses on my neck, moving up towards my ear where he began nibbling on my earlobe softly.

"I missed you..." I whispered. He gently kissed my ear and rocked me back and fourth in his arms. The small gestures were enough to surge my core.

"I missed these legs." I could tell he was grinning as he skimmed his hands down my thighs and back up to hold my hips.

I turned around within his arms and leaned up to peck his lips, because the unbearable need to feel those full lips elsewhere was overwhelming and I just wanted to claim his mouth. He wouldn't allow me to kiss him. Every attempt I made was counteracted with him moving his lips to my cheek, or my jaw, or my throat; I was a hot mess in his arms and he was barely doing anything. I fisted his hair in my hands and forced his eyes to meet mine.

"Why are you teasing? You know I'm going insane right now, right?" I almost pouted up at him, but he grinned. There was something different about his grin. Almost knowing and sneaky. He was being tricky and it was hard to understand what he was playing at. He would continuously go back to kissing my face and my chest and my shoulders. He was driving me crazy, and y the look on his face he knew what he was doing.

I was a bit disappointed and sexually agitated. I just wanted to go up and lay in a cold bath for ten minutes to calm myself. My wolf was stirring within me, howling with pleasure and willing to pounce at any given moment. I tried pulling myself out of Jason's arms as he hit my trigger sensors by licking and sucking on his claim.

"That's enough." I gasped exasperated. Jason managed a deep, throaty growl and his hold on my hips tightened. I stopped trying to move out of his arms and yelped when he thrusted my hips back against the marble island. He caged me in with his hands and continued growling against my neck.

My thoughts started racing in desperate attempt to figure out what Jason was getting at. He was teasing my body and my wolf and he was acting aggressively, which worried me.

"Jason, what are you doing?" I mumbled. I felt his teeth scrape my mark and I arched my pelvis forward, whimpering. Jason pulled away and I looked up, seeing a dangerous smile etched across his mouth. "Stop." I demanded, my voice cracking slightly when I traced finger over my tummy and round my belly button like a ring.

"Why is that, darling? Why do you want me to stop?" He sounded so sweet, his words delicacy in their own. I moaned again and reached up to grip Jason's shoulders. He was pushing my body past its limits. I felt like my body was in free fall- eventually it would start plummeting down at a rapid rate. "Speak.." He ordered harshly. "Tell me what you want, Cassandra." I felt intimidated by his tone alone. I dug my nails into his shoulders and allowed troublesome moan to fill the kitchen.

"You, Jason, I want you." My body craved him, I desired him. He was swallowing me whole. There ws nothing I could do at this point.

Jason pulled away slightly, his lips stitched into a thin, emotionless line, but his chest was moving quickly. His eyes were dark with desire and laced with mystery. I could barely read him. Suddenly, he reached up with one hand and tightened two fingers round my chin, yanking my head down. My body went rigid.

"Tell me your secret, amour." My heart stopped. I didn't know what he was talking about and I didn't quite understand his request. Was he digging for something specific?

"W-What?" I asked. Jason's eyes were hard and he looked deathly serious.

"Your secret. You lied. You don't lie to me, Cassandra. No one lies to the Alpha. I expect honesty and full respect from my pack, including my Luna. You are a part of my pack, not an exception." My breath was taken away by his cold act of harshness towards me. I didn't appreciate this treatment, this bipolar outrage. His words stung, and I felt dejected. All I could think to do was to stand in his rude embrace and hear his continuation. I was thoroughly lost in translation and my body was still trying to gain stability over my wolf.

Jason leaned down near my ear and started nibbling on the shell of my ear, kissing it sweetly. "I don't want to see your hands on that weak link. I don't want him to utter a word to you. If he wraps you in his arms again-ever, I'll tear his arms from their sockets. Know the limits and he needs to know what is his and what is not. I'll make it known to the rat when I test out his physical abilities. Until then, stay way from him, angel, or I'll punish you." His threat was crisp and short. Sickly sensual and rough. I was shaking in his arms, and so he let go of me, and with the same harsh expression he exited the kitchen, taking my cool with him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Authors Note: I had difficult time finding the motivation to write this chapter, I cannot tell a lie :( Im sorry for making you lovely people wait for so long, but with school starting off good I'm hoping to get back into my reuglar schedule. Get back into the writing scene and set up few updates for you patient people. I owe you at least a few more quick chapters. Things will definitly be heating up. I hope you're all as excited as me!

COMMENT (please)

VOTE (please)

FAN! (if you aren't already, please)

~Amanda :)