Chapter 1

Chapter One

I stared at myself in the mirror, I was wearing a lavender wavy dress that was poofy more towards the bottom and thick straps that fell on my shoulders. I examined myself, making sure I didn't look fat or stupid or anything, though, since I take after my sisters, it's nearly impossible for any of us to be fat with our curvy hips and long toned legs. I twirled in the mirror, finally happy with how I looked.

Today, was my eighteenth birthday and in three more days is The Gathering, the depressing event where he-wolves and she-wolves who are of eighteen years of age and have not  been mated yet, must be sent off into the woods in hopes of being claimed. I, along with every other member of my family loathe The Gathering. It took two members away from us, my eldest sister, Veronica, was driven away out of fear and my other sister, Emilee was taken away by a cruel Alpha male named Ryder. I remember all of the events like they were yesterday.

Emilee walked out of the woods, her white dress slightly torn and covered in patches of dirt. She stumbled out on two broken heels, with a very broad and handsome man by her side, gripping her arm.

Ryder Gillette, Alpha of the Grey Moon pack and eighteen years of age didn't hesitate to claim my sister and take her away from us. He was respectful to my parents, just like any other gentlemen and my parents bought the bait. I, however saw right past his charm. He looked crazy driven with power, and I could tell by the way Emilee shrunk away from him, that she was scared of him, as well.

By the end of the night, Ryder had her things packed and took her away, feeding my parents lies that he would take care of her. I knew he wouldn't and I tried to help her, but she shooed me off when I tried to get her alone to talk to her.

"It's none of your concern. Just go, I know what I have to do." Emilee had no idea what she had to do! She was lost and confused and stuck in her own little world, filled with freight of her newly found mate. I would start to walk away but she tugged me back and stared down at me with glassy eyes.

"I'm sorry." I announced, truly and deeply sorry.

"Don't worry. Please don't. Ryder may not be the most..." she paused trying to find the correct words, "Careful and gentle mate but I'm willing to give him a chance and I hope he takes  care of me." I nodded, trying to show her I understood, but honestly, I didn't. She was unhappy and she wanted nothing more than to runaway too, but she wasn't going to do that because for once in her life, she wanted to do something right for our family.

My guess was, because Veronica ran away, it brought some dishonor to our family and Emilee being the next daughter that had to participate in The Gathering, felt the pressure to bestow honor back into our house and make everyone proud. And she did. My family was very proud, my parents felt like she was in good hands. I rolled my eyes and walked away, because if I didn't, I'd speak up and tell my family what I really thought of Mr. Strong Alpha, Ryder. That would be disrespectful and out of line...

I stand here today wishing I did do more to help her, even though she demanded I do nothing. Emilee's sent me letters, telling me of her unhappiness. I want to write her back so badly and tell her how much I miss her and love her and pray for her, but she said it was too much of a risk for Ryder to catch the mail first. The only reason why she's getting these letters out to me is because she told me she has a maid who has become a good friend of her's and has come to her comfort so many times. The maid agreed to deliver the letters.

I wish so much that both of my sisters could be here today, one because, well, I miss them. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about them, and two, because, their absences worry me. Each day that grows closer to The Gathering frightens me. I'm scared that I'll be claimed by a cruel mate and not the guy I love. The man I love. His name is Gabriel and he's been in my life since I was sixteen. A year after Emilee was taken from us, around the time I started receiving the letters, I needed a place to think, a place where thoughts came easy. I found a meadow a few miles out of the village.