19. horizon

1996

The private jet had been a surprise to Claire, but then again, she didn't expect the rulers of the vampire world to travel in a flying can with lowly humans. The interior was extravagant, as she expected. The plush seats were bound in black leather and the luxurious carpet was dyed a deep red. At the far end of the plane was a separate room, one that used to be a conference room but now held an oversized bed, covered in an exuberant number of pillows. She was sure that they made this change for her, for they didn't need a bed. There was also a kitchenette, with a kettle, sink and a small fridge, and a bathroom.

Claire was reclined on one of the lounges, earphones in while she listened to her Walkman and read Marcus' copy of Beowulf. It was a first edition of the first printed copy, from 1815. The kings watched over her from their seats around her, Caius was right beside her and had one hand firmly on her thigh while he looked over some memos. The Volturi guards watched carefully, they were not used to seeing their masters so relaxed and affectionate.

The kings had introduced her to the guards that were travelling with them just before they boarded the plane. Felix, a huge, hulking man with dark brunette hair, gave her a deep bow. His frame and size reminded her of Emmett, and although he seemed serious and reserved, she was sure that they would get along well. Demetri was quite the opposite; his ruby red eyes that gleamed with mischief when he greeted her, pressing a kiss to the back of her hand. The kings growled at his nerve, but she could tell he just enjoyed riling them up. His light chestnut hair was spiked messily, and he exuded confidence and a flirtatious air.

She also met Jane's twin brother, Alec. They weren't identical, he had shoulder length brown hair and softer features, seeming almost androgynous. He was silent, only offering her a small nod of his head despite the subtle glare Jane shot him for being rude to their queen.

The last guard was named Santiago. He had dark skin with a chalky pallor caused by his vampirism, dark, shoulder length dreadlocks that he had tied up with a black ribbon and dark crimson eyes, just like the rest of the Volturi. He made Claire feel uncomfortable; he didn't seem welcoming, unlike the rest of the guards, and he had only glared at her when introduced. Even now, he was staring at her from across the aisle.

"We'll be landing in Anchorage soon, please take your seats," the disembodied voice of their pilot announced. The plane was manned by 2 humans, much to Claire's surprise.

"Sit back up, amore," Aro coaxed when he leant across to slip her earphones out. With an exaggerated groan, she complied, righting her seat and putting her Walkman and book away in her shoulder bag before tucking it back under her seat.

"Don't be so dramatic, piccolo," Caius murmured, squeezing her thigh. "It's unbecoming."

"Oh please. We both know that you live on dramatics," she poked his side, earning a playful glare.

"She's right," Marcus said, "Wasn't the addition of capes to our official costumes your idea?"

Claire's tinkling laughter filled the cabin as she clutched her sides. The guards regarded her with a warm look, while Santiago scowled harder. Caius crossed him arms over his chest with a huff, like a petulant child.

"Capes are cool," he grumbled, earning another wave of giggles from his mate. His brothers joined her with small chuckles as they smiled fondly at Claire, her cheeks flushed, and her head thrown back in joy.

Santiago barely contained his snarl. This mortal was turning his masters into whimpering saps. He had never seen them so improper, and unlike the rest of the guard, he did not enjoy it. They were getting weak and that would not do. He valued his status of power within the Volturi, above the nomads and other established covens. He wanted to be feared, and he felt that this girl would jeopardize that.