30. anew

1996

The next day, after covering her yellowing bruises with more makeup than she had ever worn, Claire and Marcus went to visit the Malloys. They told them that the brothers had been called away on business, so they all would be departing earlier than planned. Although Claire wasn't quite ready to leave them yet, she knew it was for the best. Ryan would be retiring soon, as would Layla, and they shouldn't be worrying about her. A clean break without a drawn-out goodbye would be best.

Of course, Ryan put up a fuss, insisting that she would stay there a while longer without the brothers, but Claire was firm. She needed to go with them, she couldn't bear to be apart from them, not like they'd let her out of their sights anyway. Claire would still call the couple when she had the chance, maybe continue to send them photographs from the diplomatic trips she takes, but this would be the last time she saw them in person. She cried when they embraced her, her hug lingering just for a little longer. She could never be able to express how grateful she was to them; they truly saved her from herself and gave her something to live for in the worst year of her life.

She continued to cry on the way back to her parent's home, Marcus comforting her as best he could while he drove. It pained him to see his soulmate in suck destress, but it had to be done. When she is turned into a vampire, she'll be a great danger to them for the first few years on her new life. She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she caused them any harm.

Aro and Caius packed her belongings, including everything that she left behind the first time. She had collected anything else in the house that had significant emotional value to her, like her mother's perfume and paintings, and her dad's old trophy collection, because she was going to sell the home. She couldn't justify holding on to it any longer. She wanted to give another family that chance to create happy memories there, just like she did.

With an aching heart, Claire, her kings, and the remaining guards travelled back to Ital. She didn't regret her decision; she just knew she'd miss the Malloy's an enormous amount. It was time for her to live her own life, completely. No expectations, no fear of disappointing anyone, and no obligations to hold her back from her potential, and her future.

﹌﹌﹌

Claire had never seen the Volterra castle, inside or out. She had only been to the city once, when she had met Marcus, and even then, she didn't get much of a chance to admire it. The weaving streets of medieval architecture were full of ancient arch ways and aging stone walls, a homage to its Etruscan history. It was full of charm and character, and he couldn't wait to explore her new home further.

It seemed the local residents knew of the Volturi, at least to some capacity. As they drove through the streets, the humans fled the pathways and scurried indoors, avoiding the dark, luxury car like they knew what dangers it contained. Claire turned to Aro, who was sitting beside her, with a questioning look.

"There are rumors, about us. Their grandparents and their great grandparents told tales of blood-drinking kings that lurked in the night. Of course, they think we were expelled from the city centuries ago. They don't believe we were real, but they'd rather be safe than sorry."

She made a noise of interest and returned her gazes towards the window. Folklore and myths were always fascination to her, so she would have to do her own research into the town's history.

The street they were driving down began to widen, opening into a large piazza. In the center was a large fountain, surrounded by more pedestrians that were mulling about and socializing, most likely tourists. There was a small café bakery in the eastern corner, with sets of tables and chairs out front for customers.

The towering castle stood proudly on the western side of the square, casting an ominous shadow over the residents. The front doors looked heavy and dark, and the tall, arched windows were blacked out with curtains and plywood. It appeared regal, but there were signs of neglect, and it was showing its age. Despite that, Claire was elated at the opportunity to call it home.

They pulled into a dark alley beside the castle, away from the prying eyes of tourist. As soon as they came to a stop, a small group of vampires appeared, all dressed in familiar dark cloaks. In a flurry, they had emptied the trunk of the car and disappeared back inside, while two unfamiliar guards opened the doors of the vehicle for them.

Aro exited first and turned back to the car to assist Claire out. As elegantly as always, she stepped out with poise, though she was sure it was incomparable to that of cold-ones.

Marcus and Caius were quick to her side, the latter winding an arm around her waist as they began to walk towards the castle's side door.

The hallway was poorly lit, only a few flickering torches lighting the way, and felt damp and dreary. Instead of being guided upstairs, towards a reaching stone staircase, Caius led her down spiraling steps that took them down, underneath the castle.

With each step, she could hear the splashing of stagnant water at her feet. The air was still and cold, uncomfortably so. It was unwelcoming, and she was beginning to question her decision. If the rest of the castle resembled this, she would not be willing to remain there.

The exterior of the building, while still ancient, was warm and enchanting. The interior she had seen so far was anything but. If she were to stay, and the castle did resemble this grim walkway, there would have to be significant changes. It was to be er home too, she would not stand for such conditions. 

a/n: i know, walls of text

a/n: i know, walls of text. but i think its important. and i forgot to hit publish yesterday oops. 

also, i did a bit of research on the actual layout of Volterra, and tried to blend it with Smeyers imagination of it. that will continue through the next few chapters bc i want it as accurate to RL and the books as possible.