Chapter 1

"Hey, Kelly?"

Kelly looked up from her biology textbook, blinking at her best friend Olivia, who was definitely not doing the chapter review questions they'd been assigned. "What?"

"Do you think there's something weird about Percy Jackson?" Olivia asked.

Kelly followed her to gaze to where Percy was sitting at the back of the room, leaning back in his chair. He wasn't doing the review questions, either - instead, he was staring into the fish tank behind his desk. Kelly couldn't see his face, but his dark hair was ruffled up and he was wearing his AHS hoodie with 'Jackson' emblazoned across the back of it.

"What do you mean, weird?" she asked, turning back around to Olivia.

Olivia shrugged. "I mean, just... there's something strange about him."

"Strange how?" Kelly questioned. "He seems normal to me, and everyone else seems to love him."

"Tell me about it," Olivia said, barely containing a longing sigh. "I'm not saying he's a bad guy, I'm just saying there's something different about him."

"You sound like you've got a crush," Kelly said, only half teasing, because who didn't have a bit of a crush on Percy Jackson?

He was tall, tan and incredibly good looking, captain of the swim team and - from what Kelly had heard, anyway - he was a pretty funny, easy going guy, when you got to know him. The brooding expression he wore when he wasn't talking to someone made him seem more mysterious than that, but everyone had seen him joking around with his friends enough to know he was definitely a nice guy.

"Shut up," Olivia hissed, leaning forward over her desk and glancing from side to side to check if anyone was listening. "I heard he was dating that Anna girl."

"Is that her name?"

"I don't know, but either way, I don't want her thinking I have a crush on him. She spiked a ball into Rose's face in PE the other day."

Kelly did a double take. "What, on purpose?"

"Well, she said it was an accident, but it was definitely on purpose. To be fair, Rose had just made some dumb joke about blondes, right in the middle of a volleyball game, so..."

Kelly couldn't stop herself from laughing this time. Thankfully their teacher didn't notice - but Percy did.

"Oh my god," Olivia squeaked, turning abruptly and almost falling out of her chair. Her face was suddenly flushed bright red. "He's looking at us."

"What?" Kelly tried to look over her shoulder in what she hoped was a subtle manoeuvre.

When she did, she saw Percy sitting up in his seat and looking over at them with a quizzical expression. One of the fish in the tank behind him swam over to the corner and he glanced from it to the girls and back again. As he returned his attention to the tank more fish gathered in front of the glass, and he smiled.

Kelly was just about to go back to her review questions when the fish all swam to the opposite side of the tank. It wouldn't have been that weird, really, except for the fact that they did it all at once, in one synchronised movement. And when they did it, Percy pulled a pen out of his pocket.

He sat up a bit straighter, looking straight out the window all the fish were pointed at, and Kelly followed his gaze. She couldn't see anything out there, but Percy looked tense. He pushed his chair back and it made a horrible scraping sound against the floor.

"Mr Jackson," their biology teacher, Mr Harrow, said warningly.

"I - uh -" Percy glanced out the window again, still holding that pen in his hand. His eyes darted around the room, and he seemed unhappy to have the attention of the entire class on him.

"Have you finished the review questions?" Mr Harrow asked.

"Yeah, I -"

"Including the extra set on page 103?"

"Yes," Percy said, sounding incredibly frustrated.

Mr Harrow looked mildly surprised. "Would you mind if I checked?"

Percy frowned. He glanced out the window again, and then back to the fish, who had all resumed swimming around the tank normally. He sighed. "Go ahead."

As Mr Harrow read over Percy's answers, Percy slouched back in his seat, twirling his pen around between his fingers.

"Well done, Mr Jackson," Mr Harrow said, sounding surprised. "You seem to have a much better grasp on this unit than the last."

"Thanks," Percy said tersely, not all that happy with the backhanded compliment. "I have a knack for marine biology."

"It appears you do." Mr Harrow handed him back his book and returned to the front of the room without another word.

Percy flipped a page in his book and made a note in the margin, but didn't try to leave again.

"See?" Olivia whispered in Kelly's ear. "Weird."

She might have had a point.

/\/\/\/\

Hope you liked the first chapter I will try to post often but no promises.
Dont be shy to share your feelings in the comments.