Chapter 7

Except Percy wasn't in English, and neither was Annabeth. Miss Beaumont didn't acknowledge their absence, and Kelly felt weird bringing it up in front of everyone, so she didn't ask.

They'd been totally dominating this mythology unit, although not always by choice. Often Miss Beaumont would just get sick of other people refusing to answer, or having no clue what the correct response was, so she'd call on either of them to put everyone out of their misery.

Kelly had asked them how they knew so much, and Annabeth had shrugged and said they'd already covered this unit at their old schools.

Without them there, Rose went back to her usual suck up self and spoke over everyone else in the class.

"Today we're discussing myths centred around Tartarus," Miss Beaumont said, and Rose immediately stuck her hand in the air.

"Yes, Rose?"

"That's the Greek equivalent of Hell," she said matter of factly.

Miss Beaumont looked longingly at Percy and Annabeth's empty seats. "Well, in some ways, yes... However -"

Kelly promptly zoned out, staring out the window. At one point, when Rose was asking a pointless and completely misguided question, she swore she saw Annabeth across the parking lot, but she didn't remember seeing her walk there. She just sort of... appeared. In the middle of the lot. Before Kelly could process it, Annabeth was gone again. She must have been hallucinating from boredom.

A black dog bounded across the lot, tongue lolling out the side of its mouth, and Kelly watched it chase some birds before running off. It was only after class had finished that she realised she hadn't seen the dog's owner.