Chapter 10

"Hey, do you wanna go see a movie or something tonight?" Kelly asked Mark on Friday, spur of the moment.

He frowned. "I'd love to, but I already told Percy I'd be at games night..."

"Games night?" Olivia asked curiously.

"Yeah, it's where a bunch of us from the team go over to each other's houses and play video games. It started as a stress relief thing when training got really intense..." He trailed off, looking genuinely upset about having to turn Kelly down.

"Don't worry about it," she said lightly, and she meant it. "We can go some other time, it's fine."

"Hm." Mark chewed his bottom lip thoughtfully. "Why don't you guys come to games night instead?"

"Uh... Isn't it just for the swim team?" Kelly asked.

Mark shrugged. "It's at Percy's place tonight, so Annabeth'll probably be there too."

"Um, well... if he says it's okay..."

Mark brightened, clapping her on the back. "Great. I'll text you the details!"

And that's how Kelly found herself standing at the door to Percy's apartment, Olivia fidgeting nervously beside her.

"Oh, my god," she whispered, feeling ridiculously nervous. "You have to promise not to be weird."

Olivia looked offended. "Excuse you?"

"You know what I mean," Kelly hissed. "Don't go snooping through his stuff -"

The door swung open to reveal a beautiful woman wearing a pink apron that was bulging at the stomach - she looked pregnant. She smiled and said, "Hello."

"Hi!" Olivia said, waving. "We're Olivia and Kelly, we're friends of Percy's."

"Oh, you're here for games night! I'm Sally, Percy's mom." She stepped back to let them in to the apartment. "You're a little early, but just give me a second and I'll go get Percy for you -"

Before Sally could even step out of the lounge, Annabeth's voice sounded down the hall, rapidly coming closer and closer. "Seaweed Brain, what have you done with my latest plans for Oly- ivia? Kelly?"

Annabeth stopped in the doorway, staring at them. She was barefoot, wearing grey sweats and a v-necked t-shirt which showed off the necklace she always wore. Her hair fell in loose waves down her back, and Kelly realised with a shock that it was the first time she'd ever seen her with her hair down. She looked like a stereotypical California surfer chick, tan and beautiful with beachy, sun bleached hair.

"Hi, Annabeth," Kelly said, feeling almost as awkward as the first time they'd met.

Sally looked between the girls with a furrowed brow, until Annabeth smiled and said, "Sorry, I wasn't expecting you here. Normally it's just the swim team."

"Oh, shit, sorry, did I not tell you Mark invited them?" Kelly heard Percy before she saw him. He appeared behind Annabeth, looping his arms around her waist and pulling her back against him, pressing a tender kiss to the crown of her head.

Annabeth lolled her head back on his shoulder to look up at him. "No, Seaweed Brain, you did not tell me."

Olivia and Kelly shared a glance at the weird nickname.

Percy grinned. "Ah, it's a good thing you love me."

"Isn't it," Annabeth muttered, full of fond exasperation.

Percy stepped out from behind her and over to Sally, who he kissed on the cheek. "Thanks for letting them in, Mom. And for letting me have everyone over tonight."

She smiled. "You know I love having your guests over. Well.. most of them."

"Hey, Ap - Lester was so not my fault," Percy said.

Kelly glanced at Olivia, who looked as lost as she felt.

Sally just nodded and went back towards what Kelly assumed was the kitchen. "Food'll be ready in half an hour."

"You are the greatest," Percy said, smiling after her. His smile remained in place as he swung around to face Olivia and Kelly. "Are you ready for your first games night?"

They were not ready for their first games night. Olivia had a little brother, so she was at least somewhat familiar with some of the games, but Kelly was hopelessly ill-prepared. She had no idea how to work the guns in the first person shooters, and kept changing the camera when she meant to hit a target.

Percy quickly took pity on her and declared they were going to have a Mario Kart tournament instead, which proved way more fun. Kelly was still pretty terrible, but she got better as the night went on.

Sally brought out homemade pizza and a plate piled high with blue cookies, and Mark whooped. "This is why games nights are best at Percy's."

The rest of the team nodded in agreement as they ate.

Sally blushed and smiled, waving off the compliment but obviously pleased. Percy saw his mom smiling and grinned. "You're not wrong."

The music changed as Annabeth won yet another race, and Olivia threw an arm out to the side in annoyance. "Oh, come on! Again? Really?!"

The controller in Olivia's hand hit a glass of water on the coffee table and sent it flying. Kelly lunged for it, but knew she was going to be way too late to catch it. Percy reached for it, too, and curled his fingers around it when it had toppled right over the edge of the table.

"I'm so sorry!" Olivia exclaimed, looking mortified. "Let me go get some paper towel -"

"No need," Percy said, setting the still full glass back on the table.

Both Olivia and Kelly gaped, craning their necks to look at the carpet. There should have been a wet patch on the floor, but there was nothing. Not a single drop had spilled.

Kelly looked up just in time to see Annabeth narrowing her eyes at Percy, looking extremely unimpressed. He met her gaze and made a motion with his hand, as if to say, it's fine. She frowned, but then her eyes flickered to Kelly and she smoothed her features out and looked away.

Kelly didn't understand any of what had just happened.