Chapter 8

Olivia sent her a text next period. 'Annabeths in pe. Acting totally normal. Said she had a headache and went to the nurses office.'

Kelly frowned and typed out a quick response. 'What, did she and Percy get matching headaches?'

'Dunno, im just passing on the message ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'

When they met up after school to study, the first thing Kelly said to them was, "Hey, are you guys feeling okay?"

"Yeah, much better now, thanks. Just needed some painkillers and quiet," Annabeth said, smiling sweetly.

Mark laughed and jostled Percy. "Bad choice taking him with you, then."

"Hey, I'm a great nurse," Percy retorted, sounding genuinely offended.

"Yeah, I bet you look great in the little nurse's uniform," Mark teased, miming swishing a skirt around his thighs.

Percy barked out a laugh and pushed him back. "Better than you! Same as with the speedos -"

The quips devolved into a shoving match, and Annabeth stepped back to let the two boys push each other round.

"You didn't miss much in English," Olivia said cheerily. "We just learned about Tartarus. You can look over my notes, if you want."

Annabeth tensed, her spine straightening. For a second, her hands clenched at her sides. Kelly saw her breath catch and her eyes widen.

And then Percy was there, sliding his hand into hers and squeezing, ducking his head down to hers and murmuring something that Kelly couldn't quite make out, although she thought it might have been, "Anchor."

Annabeth exhaled. "Thanks. I might look over them later."

Olivia cocked her head to the side but didn't press it. "No problems."