Chapter 2

Although her interest in the incident from biology waned over the course of the day, Olivia picked it right back up when they spotted the blonde haired girl they thought Percy was dating after last period.

"Do you think they're actually dating?" Olivia asked, trying to be subtle about her stalking and failing miserably as she craned her neck to peer around her locker door.

"Yes. I mean, I think so?" Kelly paused, genuinely thinking about it. "Doesn't everyone say they are?"

"Yeah, but has anyone ever actually seen them do anything coupley? Have they ever been caught making out?"

"Maybe they're just really good at sneaking around."

"Pssh." Olivia shut her locker and shouldered her bags. "There's not that many places in this school to hide."

Kelly went to do the same, and then realised that her gym bag was missing. "Shit, I must have left my other bag in the locker room."

"Why don't you get it tomorrow?" Olivia asked, stretching her arms above her head. "I wanna get out of here."

Kelly watched the blonde girl - she had a feeling her name wasn't Anna - as she hefted her bag onto her back and then began walking towards the gym.

Kelly pointed after her and said, "Swim practice is on now."

Olivia visibly brightened. "Ohhh, okay. Yeah, sure, let's go get your bag from the gym."

Kelly rolled her eyes. "You're hopeless."

"I'm curious," Olivia countered, "and rightfully so."

"Rightfully so? He does one weird thing in Bio and suddenly -" Kelly abruptly stopped talking as they caught up to Percy's maybe-girlfriend.

She didn't even look at them as they drew even with her, continuing to walk down the corridor without so much as glancing at them. Olivia tried to catch her eye, but it wasn't until they reached the door to the gym that she acknowledged them.

She walked through and then paused, holding the door open for them.

"Thanks!" Olivia exclaimed, far too enthusiastically, stopping in the middle of the door and grinning at her.

Kelly pushed her forward, offering an awkward smile.

"You're welcome," the girl said, letting the door slam closed behind them and continuing on towards the pool.

As soon as she was out of earshot, Kelly slapped Olivia's arm. "What the hell was that, you weirdo?"

"I panicked!" Olivia whisper-shouted, flailing her arms. "She's really pretty up close, okay, I've never noticed she has grey eyes before -"

"Oh, my god." Kelly rolled her eyes. "I'm going to get my gym bag and then we're leaving. Please wait here and don't embarrass yourself while I'm gone."

"I make no promises."

"So reassuring."

Kelly walked into the lockers and found her bag exactly where she'd left it after gym, stuffed into her locker and half-unzipped, so as soon as she opened the door half of its contents toppled out. She swore loudly and gathered them all up, shoving them back inside and hoisting the bag over her shoulder. She was so ready for this day to be over.

When she walked back out, though, Olivia was nowhere to be seen. Grumbling under her breath, Kelly stomped through the gym and over to the doors that led to the separate room where the pool was housed. Sure enough, she saw Olivia through the glass doors, sitting towards the bottom of the stands and talking to the girl who'd held the door open for them. Kelly really wished she could remember her name.