Chapter 3

"I can't believe I'm spending my Saturday at a stupid swim meet all because you got a weird feeling about Percy," Kelly complained, hunching down in her seat and folding her arms over her chest.

"Sorry. We're going out for burgers after, that'll make up for it," Olivia said placatingly.

"We've been here for hours and AHS haven't even swam yet," Kelly whined.

"We've only been here forty minutes, and yeah they have, George just swam the -"

"It feels like forty hours. And George doesn't count."

"That's sort of mean but sort of valid. Mark and Percy are up next in the relay, okay, then Mark's doing the 50m freestyle and then Percy's got a bunch of solo races. Just suck it up for another hour and we can go."

"Urgh." Kelly slumped even further down, throwing her head back. "Wake me up when it's done."

Annabeth laughed as she rejoined them, her freshly filled water bottle in hand. "Forget a book?"

Kelly sat up slightly. "Is that how you get through these things?"

"I usually try to get my homework done." She flipped open the bag at her feet and revealed a notebook. "Makes the time fly by."

"You're so organised," Olivia said, leaning forward to talk across Kelly. After her little display the other day they'd decided maybe it was best for her to not sit directly next to Annabeth.

"Ah, I'm trying to be," Annabeth said, tucking a loose curl behind her ear. "Not sure if I'm succeeding."

"Man, I wish I had that motivation," Olivia said wistfully. "Imagine being that prepared."

Annabeth laughed and flipped her bag closed. "Oh, I feel woefully unprepared, don't worry."

Before Kelly could question what she meant, the relay race was starting, and the girls were all yelling out their support for the AHS team. Mark went first and gave them a good lead, but George went third and completely lost all the ground Mark had gained.

"Oh, no," Olivia said, chewing her thumbnail. "We've lost it."

Annabeth smiled, looking completely calm. "Percy'll regain the lead, don't worry."

"How can he? We're half a length behind, he can't -" Kelly's words died on her lips as Percy dove in and shot through the water, going so fast she could barely see him coming up for air. He overtook the other swimmers with ease, and AHS ended up winning by almost a whole length.

Annabeth was on her feet, cheering and clapping, while Kelly and Olivia looked at each other in shock. They'd heard that Percy was good - obviously, you didn't get to be captain of the team without talent - but that performance was something else entirely.

As Annabeth sat back down she glanced at them, smirking. "What? I told you he was here on a swimming scholarship."

He won all of his races after that, although the 100m butterfly was a closer call than any of the rest. Mark placed second in his, and both boys were grinning as the meet drew to a close, although Mark was breathing heavily. Percy didn't seem anywhere near as tired.

As the crowd dispersed, Annabeth jumped over the seats in the stands and ran over to meet them. Olivia and Kelly followed, somewhat less coordinated. They caught up just in time to see Percy plant a quick kiss on Annabeth's forehead.

"Nice work!" Annabeth said, looking between the two boys.

"Thanks," Mark said, grinning.

"Eh. No PBs today," Percy said, and Kelly couldn't tell if he was genuinely upset or not.

"Well you'll just have to train harder then, won't you?" Annabeth teased.

He draped an arm over her shoulders and pulled her in close to his side, ruffling up her hair. "I already train the hardest, I'll have you know -"

"Percy, come on!" Kelly had thought that his grip on her was pretty secure, but Annabeth pushed back and slipped under his arm with ease. The shoulders and side of her top were now damp, and her hair was sticking up at the crown. She shook her arms out and patted down her hair. "Was that really necessary?"

He laughed, green eyes sparkling. "If I have to be wet then so do you."

"I'm not the one who's been swimming," she said, scrunching her face up.

He just laughed again and pulled her in for another hug. She didn't resist this time, letting him wrap both arms around her and resting her chin on his shoulder as she returned the hug.

Kelly was standing right beside them, and as Olivia and Mark started talking she thought she heard Percy murmur to Annabeth, "Want me to dry you off?"

"No, it's fine," Annabeth murmured back.

Percy grinned and kissed her forehead again, and then she spun around so that she was still under his arm but was facing the rest of the group. "Who's ready for burgers?"