Chapter Three: Denial

It was the perfect day for a barbeque and Ella had a lovely time sitting with Melanie and Ashley.

While Scarlett sat surrounded by her beaux, Ella was entranced as Ashley told her all about his grand tour to Europe a few years ago. It made her long for the day she could cross the ocean and see for herself all the wonderful culture Ashley was describing.

As the day grew later and the sun rose higher, the ladies left the men and retired upstairs for their afternoon nap.

"You had to keep Ashley all to yourself, didn't you Ella, he barely even looked in my direction!"

Ella turned to face her sister who had a furious look on her face.

"Honestly Scarlett, he probably couldn't see past the swarm of men surrounding you. Anyway, why do you care? He's marrying Melly and that's that."

"Melly, is it? Best friends already are you? And I can hardly believe Ashley wants to marry such a bore when he can have me."

"Melly is not a bore and yes, I can see her becoming a very good friend to me. You don't mean that Scarlett, you don't want Ashley, not really, and you know it. Give up your childish dream of being Mrs Ashley Wilkes and you'll be a lot happier, I guarantee it."

Frustrated, Scarlett flung herself on the bed she was sharing with Ella.

"That's what you think."

Ella rolled her eyes at her sister's childish behaviour and laid down next to her.

A little while later Ella quietly got dressed and tiptoed past the sleeping girls out of the room. She headed towards the Wilkes' library. It was the biggest collection of books in the county and Ella couldn't resist a chance to explore it for a new book to read.

Entering the library, Ella happily sighed at the sight of all the books. She decided to start on the left side of the room, looking over each bookcase, picking out books that piqued her interest to peruse.

Meanwhile, Scarlett was getting dressed and without noticing her sisters absence left the room in search of Ashley. Hearing someone coming she dashed into the library, unknowingly joining her sister.

The noise of Scarlett's entry distracted Ella from the book she was currently absorbed by. She turned around to face the door, putting the book down on a nearby table.

"Scarlett?!"

Scarlett whipped around to face her sister.

"Ella, what are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same sister. I was looking for a new book."

Scarlett's nose scrunched up in frustration as Ella was ruining her plan and went back to peeking through the small opening of the open door.

"You have to leave Ella. He'll never admit his true feelings with you in the same room."

"Who won't?"

A male voice called out, it was Ashley Wilkes.

"Scarlett?"

Realising what her sister was planning Ella desperately whispered at her.

"Ashley? Scarlett don't!"

Panicking Scarlett pushed Ella over the back of the sofa just before Ashley entered the room.

"Scarlett, what are you doing in here?"

Ella would have rolled right off the sofa and onto the floor if not for a strong pair of arms catching her around the waist and halting her fall.