Chapter Nineteen: Horror

The atmosphere at dinner that night was tense.

"How long has Captain Butler been making visits here?"

The sisters glanced at each other. Scarlett plastered a smile on her face.

"Not long. Not long at all. You see, we hadn't seen him before the war, and our families were quite close. I didn't think you'd mind -"

"I see. Well, today will be the last of these visits."

"What do you mean? He's Ella's suitor. Why can't he -"

Both sisters jumped when Scarlett's husband banged his hands on the table.

"Because I will not have that man in my house! If he turns up again you will send him away."

"But, husband, you can't -"

"You will send him away! This is my house and you will obey me, my wife."

"How -"

"Scarlett."

She glanced at Ella but didn't take notice of the warning tone of her voice.

"I don't understand what the problem is. Rhett has been good to us and -"

Ella heard it before she saw it. It all happened so fast. She stared across the table, frozen in place. Scarlett's husband was standing leaning over her sister, who had her hand against her cheek.

Both sisters were in shock. He had just slapped Scarlett. Ella had always been weary of the man but he had never laid a hand on either of them before.

"You will do as I say! That man is never to step foot in this house again! You are both forbidden from meeting with him! Understood?!"

The sisters stared across the table at each other and Ella watched as the fire in Scarlett's eyes flickered before dying out. Her husband was expecting a response, so at their silence, he banged his hands on the table again before repeating himself.

"Is that understood?!"

"Yes."

"Yes, sir."

"Good."

Scarlett's husband straightened his appearance before sitting back down and continuing to eat his dinner. The sisters didn't eat another bite. As they waited for him to finish, Ella tried to calm her racing heart before wondering what on earth she was going to do about Rhett.

For the next three days, Rhett knocked on their door and was denied entry. Ella didn't know what to say to him other than it wasn't a good time or she wasn't feeling well. She couldn't explain that Scarlett's husband had forbidden them from seeing him and she didn't want to tell him that she didn't want to see him, because she did.

Despite being turned away at the door, Scarlett's husband was unhappy that Rhett kept coming back.

"We turned him away. We told him we didn't want to see him. What more can we do?"

"Well, obviously you're not being convincing enough."

The next day, he stayed at home and when the knock on the door finally came neither sister moved to answer it.

"Go on. Answer it."

Scarlett made a move towards the door, but her husband grabbed her arm. He nodded towards Ella.

"No. Ella, you answer it and remember to make it convincing."

She walked towards the door and he followed, dragging Scarlett with him. Before she opened the door, Ella glanced to the side and froze.