Chapter Nine: Fear

Rhett couldn't leave Ella crying alone, but he couldn't go to her either. So, he chose the third option.

Back in the hall, Scarlett was dancing with a new partner, although her enthusiasm had waned after Rhett's abrupt departure. Whilst she was pondering this she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around to see Rhett.

"Scarlett."

"Captain Butler?"

"Your sister needs you. She is out in the gardens."

"Why...?"

"Now, Scarlett."

Scarlett frowned at his tone but went out into the gardens to find her sister.

"Ella?"

She found Ella sitting on a bench hidden by tall bushes. As she approached she realised Ella was sobbing into her hands and rushed over to sit next to her.

"Ella! What's the matter?"

"Scarlett, I need to tell you what happened in Charleston."

Rhett discreetly made his way back to his hiding place behind the bushes to eavesdrop on the sisters. He needed to know how Ella felt.

"Finally! I knew something had happened, you've been acting so strange since you got back."

"While I was there I ran into Captain Butler. I was down by the docks watching the ocean while he was readying his ship to sail to England. We ended up talking and began to meet every morning. He taught me about sailing and his ship and told me stories about all the places he's been to."

Scarlett watching Ella as she spoke noticing her blissful expression and she knew her sister must have feelings for Captain Butler. Rhett was pained at how happy their talks had made Ella.

"Then the night before I left for Atlanta I attended a ball. Oh, Scarlett our aunts gave me the most beautiful dress. I felt like a princess that night. You would have been so jealous."

She winked at Scarlett in jest.

"Rhett came to the ball. He said he had to see me again and we danced all night. Oh Scarlett, he's such a wonderful dancer, but I guess you knew that already."

Rhett winced as guilt overcame him.

"Oh, Ella. I had no idea! I would have refused to dance with him if I had known. You've never been interested in men before, so I didn't think..."

Suddenly it all clicked in her mind.

"You fell because you couldn't stand seeing us dance together! Oh Ella, I'm so sorry! I'm sorry I didn't see if you were alright after your fall. I was so excited and distracted by the attention and being belle of the ball again. I haven't danced since before the Wilkes barbeque and I didn't want it to end. I got swept up in the excitement. Oh Ella, can you ever forgive me?"

"There's nothing to forgive. You didn't know."

"Why didn't you tell me about Rhett before?"

"Because that's not all that happened."

Scarlett looked at Ella expectantly.

"He left. Mid dance he stopped and left."

"Left?"

"Just walked out of the room without a word. I went down to the docks the next day and his ship had gone."

Rhett couldn't believe it. Ella had come looking for him, even after the way he left her that night. How could he hurt such a kind woman?

"He ran away."

"I suppose that one way to look at it."

"I feel like such a fool acting that way when he was just using me."