Chapter Five: Interest

It wasn't long before Scarlett and Ella were on the train to Atlanta. Scarlett would be met by Melly at Atlanta while Ella would continue onto Charleston with their servant, Prissy. Scarlett couldn't understand why her twin was so anxious to visit their aunts, but Ella was looking forward to seeing the sea.

It had been so long since she last visited her aunts that she could barely remember the ocean at all. If Ella ever got to fulfil her dreams, she would have to cross the vast ocean to reach Europe. For someone who had never even been swimming in anything larger than a pond, and certainly never travelled in a boat, this was an overwhelming thought.

As the train pulled into Charleston station, Ella felt her excitement rise. She had never travelled and stayed somewhere by herself. She was looking forward to the small amount of freedom she would have, and the reprieve from her sister. As much as she loved Scarlett, she would enjoy the chance to be noticed for once, to be herself and not a twin.

With a spring in her step, Ella departed the train and looked around for her aunts. Her memories of them were vague, but she was sure she would recognise them by sight. It wasn't long before she found them, or rather, heard them. Ella had no reason to worry, for her aunts recognised her.

"Ella! Over here, Ella!"

She carefully made her way through the crowd, which had formed on the station platform, over to her aunts and was immediately embraced by them.

"Oh my, how you have grown!"

"And into such a beautiful young lady Ella!"

"You look so much like your mother."

Ella blushed at the compliments and the attention her aunts were drawing with their exclamations.

"That's very kind of you to say, Aunt Pauline, Aunt Eulalie. Thank you ever so much for having me to stay."

"It's our pleasure, dear."

"Now, we know you're a country girl, Ella, but do not worry. We will help you become accustomed to city life before you know it!"

As Ella followed her aunts to their carriage, trying and failing, to keep up with their constant babbling, she wondered if maybe for once Scarlett was right.

Ella's first few days in Charleston were spent attending tea parties and sewing circles while being introduced by her aunts to all the ladies of Charleston's high society. Ella was sure she had met everyone there was to meet in Charleston.

One evening, Ella was sitting in the drawing-room after dinner reading a book, barely listening while her aunts told her of their plans for tomorrow. At hearing the name Butler, Ella's ears picked up. Eleanor Butler had invited them over for tea tomorrow.

"Butler? Is she related to Rhett Butler?"

"Ella! How do you know about Rhett Butler?"

Taken aback by her aunt's dismay at her mention of Mr Butler.

"I met him at the Wilkes barbeque not long ago."

"Goodness Ella! Don't you know about his reputation?"

"Whatever do you mean Aunt Pauline?"

"He is not received my dear, not even by his own family."

Ella vaguely remembered Scarlett mentioning Mr Butler was not received.

"Why ever not?"

Her aunts hesitated and shared a look. For some reason, they didn't want to tell her, Ella realised.

"We'll just say that he ruined a girl's reputation and then refused to marry her."

Ella didn't want to believe that they were talking about the same man. She had thought fondly of Rhett since the barbeque. He kept her confidence over the library situation and her moment of absentmindedness when she said she'd run away with him. Ella was so grateful no one else knew of her unladylike behaviour, though very embarrassed to have acted in such a way at all.

"Oh, but he was ever such the gentleman when I met him."

"Yes, well, here in Charleston it is best not to mention that man."

"But Pauline, I am sure Eleanor would be grateful to hear of his wellbeing. He is still her son after all."

Eulalie turned to Ella.

"It will just be the four of us tomorrow so I would mention him, but gently Ella."

The next day Ella and her aunts were sitting having tea with Eleanor Butler. The Butlers home was grand, and the parlour they were currently sitting in was decorated beautifully. Ella couldn't help but admire the rose-patterned tea service they were using. She nervously ran her fingers over the small red rosebuds on the teacup she was holding.

"Do you like roses Ella?"

Ella looked up at being asked a direct question by Mrs Butler, who had noticed her attentions on her fine china.

"Oh yes, Mrs Butler. I think all flowers are beautiful."

"Charleston must be very different from what you are used to. What is it like in the country?"

"It is very different, Mrs Butler. The country is generally quieter, though we have lots of large gatherings to make up for it."

Ella hesitated whether she should bring up Rhett or not, but if it was her son she would want to know of his wellbeing.

"Not long ago my neighbour, John Wilkes, had a barbeque. It was quite the event, families from all over Georgia came. I believe I met someone you know, Mrs Butler."

"Oh really? Pray tell."

"Your son, Rhett."

The silence which followed cause Ella to blush and continue her attentions on the cup which was still in her hands.

"You met my... I mean, did he seem well to you, Ella?"

Ella looked up at Mrs Butler again, who although she tried to hide it, seemed choked up about news of her son. Ella smiled at her.

"He looked extremely well, Mrs Butler. It was a pleasure to meet such a gentleman."

"I'm glad."

Mrs Butler looked pleased but slightly surprised at Rhett being called a gentleman and intrigued that he had acted as such with this young lady.

Ella's aunts changed the subject, discussing some gossip about a few young girls which was going around.

Eleanor Butler quietly observed the young lady sitting before her. Although Ella had an air of intelligence about her and was undoubtedly kind and gentle, the girl was also shy and uncomfortable in social situations, happy to let others carry the conversation.

She would never have pegged her son for being attracted to a timid woman and she wondered what their meeting had consisted of, that he went out of his way to act a gentleman. Although, Eleanor supposed hopefully, I didn't raise him to be rude, maybe he isn't as much of a scallywag as they make him out to be.

Mrs Butler had no way of knowing that her son was contemplating Ella as well. Rhett treated Ella the way he thought she deserved, as a Lady, but she surprised him with her actions. She chose to stay lying on top of a man rather than interrupt her sister's declaration of love. She also risked getting freckles, which may seem like a small act of rebellion, but it still amused Rhett to see.

Moreover, there was her interest in travelling to Europe. Rhett knew most of those southern girls hadn't been further than Savannah, and never would. Yet Ella dreamed of a life far away from home. Rhett was well travelled and was stunned to find a lady who wanted to see the world. It seemed a waste that once Ella married it was unlikely she would ever get to travel.

Rhett couldn't help, but remember the feeling of having the blushing maiden in his arms that day, when he caught her around her tiny waist and had her breasts pressed against his chest. The way she was unaware of her own beauty, dumbfounded Rhett. Despite this, Rhett was glad he was unlikely to cross paths with Ella O'Hara again, for he was not a marrying man and such a lady deserved that.