Chapter Eight: Jealousy

Ella had always told herself she didn't need a man until she met Rhett Butler that is.

It had been almost a year since she had seen him and despite the way he left her mid-dance, she couldn't help, but miss his company. No matter how hard she tried to forget him her mind often wondered, reliving those precious mornings they had spent together.

Scarlett could tell something was off about her sister, but Ella had been tight-lipped about her time in Charleston and so for now Scarlett shrugged it off as nothing serious.

Ella threw herself into Atlanta society; attending sewing circles, doing charity work and helping at the hospital with Melanie and Scarlett. The citizens of Atlanta were pleasantly surprised that the O'Hara twins were very different. Ella had won their approval with her gentle manners and willingness to help in whatever way she could.

Ella's biggest distraction came in the form of a bazaar to raise money for the cause. She had been asked to join the committee that was organising it and they had spent months getting ready. Ella had never made so many pillowcases in her life!

On the day of the bazaar, Ella spent the afternoon with the other ladies on the committee, decorating the hall.

Ella was handling a booth at the bazaar. As Melly and Aunt Pittypat were in mourning they couldn't attend social functions. Mrs Merriwether had offered to be Ella's chaperone, and Scarlett's chaperone as Ella had insisted that Scarlett be allowed to attend. Scarlett was meant to be helping Ella with the booth, but there was no way she was going to stand behind a booth when she could be dancing.

Rhett had to see her again. He wanted to prove to himself that any feelings he might have had for her were gone. So here he was in Atlanta attending a bazaar for the cause. He had spotted Ella manning a booth. He tried not to watch her too much, for he worried that if he looked into her eyes he might not be able to resist her. Rhett had also noticed that Scarlett was here and wasn't surprised to see her dancing and laughing the night away. She may be a child in a woman's body, but Scarlett sure knew how to have fun and didn't care much for what others thought of her. Though not to the same degree as him, Rhett thought.

Scarlett made her way back over to Ella when there was a pause in the dancing.

"Enjoying yourself Scarlett?"

"Oh yes! It's been forever since I've danced so much! Thank you for bringing me with you Ella. I simply would have died of boredom otherwise."

The sisters were interrupted as Mr Meade's voice rang out across the room from the stage.

"Thank you all for being here tonight to help raise money for the cause. I want to thank all the ladies who have been hard at work making these fine items to sell. I especially want to thank our special guest, whom without his work running the blockade we would not have the supplies we need for the hospital to help our injured boys, Captain Rhett Butler!"

Ella gasped and looked around the hall for Rhett. She froze when she found him. There he was, as dashingly handsome as ever, bowing and grinning at his applaud. He looked over in Ella's direction and his grin grew.

"Oh no, what is he doing here?"

Ella turned to see Scarlett behind her looking at Rhett with an angry expression. Before Ella or Scarlett could escape Rhett had already made his way over to them.

"Miss Scarlett, it's a pleasure to see you again and I must say you absolutely ravishing in that dress."

Scarlett anger diminished with the compliment. With all the stories Ella had told him about her sister, Rhett knew precisely how to win her over.