4. To pity party

Chapter 4. To pity party

She silently put the steaming cup on the desk, getting ready to sneak out as soon as possible. He had not paid her any attention since she had entered in the room, he seemed pretty engrossed with his computer.

There, now I finally won't have to see his fac-

"Sit," he said.

"What?" she asked dumbfounded.

"Sit!" He said sharply.

Almost frightened she slipped on the edge of the chair, silent as a duck.

"Sign it," he pushed forward some documents.

Trembling she took them in hand, she had a very bad feeling about it.

Resignati- Marlyn snapped her eyes to his.

"Sign," he ordered once again.

"No," she said, she would have loved to, if only she did not have other responsibilities on her shoulders. She will resign, she decided, but only after a couple of months when she will be able to present her curriculum to other companies with a legit experience enlisted.

"No?" he laughed, but no humor showed on his face, "Do you think I'd want to see your ugly face everyday?"

She wasn't dying either to see him everyday, what she really wanted to do was get her sharp nails dig into his skin and him howling in pain for everything he had done to her, for every time she had cried, for everything she had lost only for him, for every promise he had made and broken without batting an eye. If only she could take her sweet revenge, but she could not, not yet.

"Why should I resign? I love this job very much," Not true, but he didn't have to know. She was just desperate enough.

"That's not my problem," he replied.

She laughed in disbelief "It is," she replied, if he could be stubborn she was the queen of stubborns. "But," she lifted a finger, "I might have a solution to it...how about you pay me for two paychecks of the three months contract I have, and I will be out." It was only fair to her, she had heard about a company that had paid thousands to get some employees to resign willingly.

He let out a cold laugh, "Still a gold digger, I see," he sneered.

Marlyn's jaw dropped in indignation, "Enough!" A sbham resounded when her hand came in contact with the desk,"you are crossing a line Mr. Williams, you ought to respect your staff, or they won't respect you," she stated as calmly as she could, her eyes sparkling fire. She got up, very much done with him.

"One mistake Ms. Moony, one mistake and I will throw you out."

"Your threats don't scare me" She had gone to hell and back, what was the worst he could do? Throw her out of the company? She had her arm back now, she could conquer the world if she wanted!

She left the room, the door screeching close behind her.

"Hello, Mrs. Caden," she approached her new colleague with an angelic sweet smile that totally clashed with the wind whirl of emotions inside her, "I have heard you've been working quite for long with Mr. Williams."

"Call me Amanda, please," she smiled.

Just like that she was able to get Amanda to teach her all the tips and tricks of the job.

***

It was six o'clock, and Marlyn was itching to get Ellie and go home. But the boss's order was to not dare step out of the room before she finished going through the damn files he gave her, they were just too many! She had barely got the time to get to Ellie for lunch, and was already late once more.

"Did you do it on purpose?"

Marlyn jumped from her seat, her marker flying out of her hand and falling on the floor with a quiet click that nonetheless echoed in the empty place.

"Jesus," she said, a hand on her heart.

"What do you want?" she snapped at the person in front of her.

He arched his brow.

"I mean, sir, is there anything else you need from me?" she grit out, with a fake smile plastered on her face.

"Yes," he finally replied. "Why are you here?"

"Can I go home then?"

He rolled his eyes, "How is it, you coincidentally joined to work for the company I bought? And that without even a proper qualification?"

"Excuse me! Can you get over yourself? The world doesn't revolve around you,"

He let out a humorless laugh, "You want me to believe it was purely a coincidence?"

"Yes!"

They were shouting at each other. Mrs. Caden, who was the only one left on the floor, frowned. It was not like Benjamin to lose it with his employees, in fact she had never seen him get angry. His demanding orders and powerful aura were enough to scare anyone into doing his bidding after all.

Mrs. Caden decided it was a good time to barge in the room and save the day,

"Excuse me sir, Mrs Williams called, she requested you to be home in time for dinner."

He got married? Marlyn thought with an utterly familiar ache in her heart. Her eyes flickered to his hands, but there were no rings. Maybe it's his mother? She hoped. Then shook her head, it was none of her business.

His mother had called more than an hour ago to remind him, and Amanda had not found it necessary to tell immediately as there was still time to leave, although now it worked as the perfect excuse.

He just nodded, never taking his eyes off Marlyn. "You can leave," he said.

Mrs. Caden's eyes flickered from Benjamin to Marlyn, then left the room, making sure to leave the door open.

"If I find out you are planning something, you are done," he sharply said before leaving.

Planning something? What? Your murder? Marlyn had never had such violent thoughts since her Elaine was born.

She had moved on from him. She really had. But then he had to show up and make it hell again.

That night, when Ellie fell asleep, Marlyn finally let tears drown her. She wanted to scream, to despair, to destroy something, to sob loudly, to give up life. The wounds had opened back, and were bleeding more than ever, it felt like yesterday, when she was dumped like she did not count anything for him.

But all she did was bury her head in the pillow and suffocate her sorrows. Tragedies happened everyday, and hers was not anymore special. She had to quit her own pity party.

-----

...Sooo?

Also, tomorrow I'm going to change a bit of the second chapter "Interview" to make it more interesting!

19/07/2021