11. Vanished Ellie

11. Vanished Ellie

The weekend was coming and Marlyn was more than happy to take Ellie and head home.

"Hey Tessa!" Marlyn greeted one of the caretakers that worked for Golden's.

"Marlyn," Tessa was perplexed, "I thought you had left earlier,"

"No, I didn't" she chirped, "But I am now!" Nothing could separate her from a relaxing night with books! "Where is Ellie?" She searched around the room, there were so many toys, she was happy Ellie could be in such a nice place.

"What do you mean? You took her earlier"

"I did not," Marlyn frowned.

"Is this some prank Marlyn? It's not funny," Terra said laughing lightly.

"Where is my daughter, Tessa? I have not come here since lunch!" Marlyn was on the brick of having a heart attack. Was her past catching up? Did Benjamin finally figure it out? Was this his way of playing her mind?

"But you did, look!" Tessa showed her the exit paper every parent had to sign before taking their kids away, where clear as light was the sign of Marlyn Moony.

But that was not her sign. Marlyn narrowed her eyes at it.

"How did I look when I came here?" She grit out through clenched teeth.

"You looked like...you?"

Marlyn sat down right there on the floor.

"Hey, are you all right?" Tessa rushed to her aid.

"You had short hair!" She suddenly shouted, "Was that a wig?" Tessa did not know what to do, she swore, who had given Elaine to her mother and no one else.

"I had short hair?" Marlyn whispered.

"Let me call the security, we...We can check..."

All words fell on deaf ears, Marlyn was panicking, if she really did take her daughter, where could she ever search for them?

TRnnTrnnnn BUzzzz BUZZZ

Marlyn mindlessly picked her phone, it was her neighbor.

"Marlyn are you at home?"

"No"

The voice on the other end gasped, "I think someone has broken in-"

That was all it took for Marlyn to clutch her purse and run home like her life depended on it, leaving behind the ever so confused Tessa.

~

Marlyn reached home breathless, when she tried to open the door, it was locked.

"Of course it is," she mumbled, her hair falling all over her face.

She pulled out the key and finally got into the apartment.

Everything was submerged in the darkness, but Marlyn could still somewhat see. It was something that had always come so natural to her, she didn't take time questioning it.

Her erratic breath was the only thing she could hear.

Someone was sitting on the sofa, like it belonged to her, her eyes were sparkling in the night with a killing intent, she had gray eyes like the sea on a stormy day.

Marlyn switched on the lights.

The woman could almost be confused for a statue. Her arms and legs were crossed, and she was unblinkingly staring at Marlyn. But that was enough for Marlyn to read her face, a face that was so similar to her own, if not same, and Marlyn knew she was furious. She was a deadlier copy of Marlyn with shorter hair.