13. The most wanted Criminal

Chapter 13. The most wanted Criminal

Marlyn looked up, startled. 

“Please, evacuate the building calmly and with order,” the automatic speaker's voice resounded loud and clear.

“What happened?” She stopped a colleague on her way.

“I don’t know,” he said and scattered away immediately.

Marlyn took the emergency ladder along with everyone, although it did not feel at all safe. When they came down to the floor where the daycare was, she entered against the stream. 

“Get out Ms, please,” one member of the vigilation team stopped her from entering.

Marlyn gasped, there was fire everywhere, it was visible through the nursery door.

“Are there still kids inside?” She looked at the people that were leading some children outside, while others were trying to contain the flames with fire extinguishers. 

All she could think of was that Ellie might still be inside. It was her motherly instinct, or maybe a tragic hunch, but somehow she knew her child was trapped.

Marlyn might not have powers anymore, but she was the daughter of water, with that though she dodged every person on her way and ran inside. 

“MARLYN, STOP!”

Her sight got immediately teary, there was too much smoke, too much noise.

Her body was completely enveloped in flames, somewhere her clothes were burning, but her mind was set onto looking for her child. "Ellie, ELLIEE!"

The smoke detectors had popped out of their place, the water rushed out uncontrollable, called to calm the chaos. Water fell like a tornado, clashing and fighting with the flames, each for their life. Marlyn could feel it in her veins, the rushing of the water, the calmness it brought, the world changing its color. Water was coming to her, every drop was following the commands of their master.

Then she finally saw, in the middle of the gray mist, a child crying and screaming in horror, she was engulfed by a violet deadly flame. 

“ELLIEE!” a terrified scream. Opening her arms wide she engulfed her lifeline into a huge hug, attempting to suffocate the fire. Out of nowhere water rushed to them, drenching both mother and children. 

“Momma,” Elaine barely whispered, her arms tightly holding onto her mother, before fainting altogether. Behind them, the fire had completely ceased, while the water was now cascading down calmly as if it knew the job was done.

Arms pulled at them, like in a dream Marlyn was rushed outside. Elaine was still unconscious while doctors were tending to her. Marlyn was sobbing. The ambulance was taking them to the hospital. Somewhere in between, she too, passed out. Or maybe she was awake. Her senses just wanted peace.

—--

Elaine was laying on the hospital bed. The drenched girl had been changed into a fresh blue hospital gown. Her body had no burn mark, nor any other sign of distress. 

The hospital staff was happy for the child. Although the doctor on duty found the situation quite peculiar; all the children that had not been able to escape before the fury of the fire were hurt, but this child had miraculously survived unscratched, just like her mother.

The man in the white coat frowned, still watching over the child’s vitals.

“Momma?” the child whispered.

“Hello, darling, can you hear me?” The doctor asked tenderly. 

Elaine’s teary eyes opened, she blinked half dazed at the doctor. The man froze. Her eyes were of a vivid purple. Purple flames burning in them. Out of nowhere, a little fire lit ablaze on her cotton covers. The doctor gasped, coming out of shock he finally snatched the covers and suffocated the fire, while Elaine slipped back into slumber.

He stared at her for a long long time. He was in denial, how could it be? He needed to have a talk with her mother, immediately. 

But before anything, he reached for his phone and called the one person he knew would be thrilled to hear the news.

-

Marlyn woke up with her head feeling heavy as a giant rock, and body pulsing with power. She was in a white room, wearing a blue gown, with no one in sight.

A man in white coat opened the door and walked to her. 

"Hello Ms, I'm doctor Shaudner," he said with a friendly smile, "How are you feeling?" He asked.

She opened her mouth, blinked, "Elaine?" She croaked out.

"Your daughter is good and healthy, I can take you to her," he offered. "Would you like to call the father?" 

A long silence commenced in the room.

"I'm a single mother," she said, standing up.

The doctor raised an eyebrow but said no more.

Marlyn stood up from the bed, ready to get her daughter the hell out of there. Her heart was pounding inside her chest. Her jelly legs almost gave up.

The doctor reached out to help her, "you should consider resting a little more" he added.

Marlyn shook her head. "Are the other kids all right?" She asked.

"No one is in critical condition," he didn't offer further details and led the woman to her sleeping child.

Marlyn finally could breath in relief, she tenderly combed her fingers through Ellie's messy hair. 

Unknown to her, the doctor was scrutinizing the two with a curious gaze, as if he was cracking a world's mystery.

"Has anything strange happened to her?" Dr. Shaudner asked.

Marlyn tensed. She finally looked at the doctor. Really looked at him. 

"Strange?" Marlyn showed confusion. All the while she was plotting on how to get the hell out of there. 

"Would you like to call a family member?" He asked. 

Marlyn nodded. Finally the doctor decided to lead her out. 

Marlyn rushed to the receptionist, to make a call to Minnie. 

"Get our stuff, we are moving away," she whispered.

"What? Why?" The woman on the other end almost screamed.

"Just do it, most of the things are already packed, we are moving to grandma's," she whispered cautiously while looking around. "I'll be waiting at the civil hospital, room 98, floor 3, hide your face. Bye." She hung up.

It was going to be a mess.
She was glad at least Alice had gone to her parents for the while.
On her way back to Elaine's room she constantly looked around. In the room she glanced at her sleeping daughter, then moved the curtain just a little to the side to peer outside on the road. Her eyes immediately zeroed on the people wearing long black coats, with blood red collars just peaking on their long sculptured necks.

Just as she had feared.

The Guardians had come: the police of their world appeared whenever they suspected supernatural activity was involved. They hunted criminals, and settled accidents to ensure secrecy. 

And Marlyns' name was splattered on top of the wanted list of the most dangerous criminals in their world.