chapter forty-three

Yael studied herself in the mirror, smoothing the gown her grandmother's seamstress had designed for her

Yael studied herself in the mirror, smoothing the gown her grandmother's seamstress had designed for her. Jeweled red in tone, the color accented the copper highlights in her hair, and the bodice fit tight to her hips, where it flowed to the floor in an elegant sweep. She styled her hair into soft waves, letting it fall past her shoulders, and she noticed excitement dancing in her brown eyes. It was because of Casey, a fact she only acknowledged in the safety of her mind. The jewelry she wore was her mother's tiered diamond necklace. Yesterday, while going through the endless boxes at Miriam's, she'd found her mom's jewelry cases, such a wonderful surprise.

Yael had just finished applying a final coat of lip gloss when her cell rang on the vanity beside her. Reaching for it, she felt an uncomfortable twinge when she noticed Haustin's number.

"Hey," he greeted when she answered.

Her happy mood faded some, and she watched her lips dip into a frown. "Hey, stranger."

"Yeah, I know." He sighed. "Sorry I haven't been around much. Work."

"It's okay. I mean, I've missed you, but I understand." And she did understand. She saw how out of place he was at Miriam's funeral, how he retreated into himself as the day progressed. "How have you been?"

"Good, good." A quick chuckle passed through the phone. "It shouldn't be this awkward, should it."

"Haustin," she sighed his name.

"Don't sound so down. I am fine, but I guess we should talk sometime, huh?"

"I guess we should." Yael's heart stuttered. Deep down, she knew where they were headed, and she truly hoped they stayed friends in the process. "You've got your friend's party tonight, right?"

"On my way now. I just wanted to say hi."

"Are you going to be okay?"

"I hope so." She heard the doubt in his voice, and all she wanted to do was comfort him. "Do me a favor," he said.

"Anything."

"Have fun tonight. Don't worry about work, or Peter, or me. Give yourself a chance to enjoy the entire evening."

"You too, Haustin."

They said goodbye, and she set the phone down, swallowing the lump in her throat. Suddenly exhausted, her shoulders slumped. Haustin filled her with so many conflicting emotions; guilt and joy, promise and caution. Yael needed to decide if he, and what they shared, was enough to fight for or if it was time to acknowledge what had always been there—a gap neither could quite reach across.

The buzzer sounded, causing Yael's skin to tighten with anticipation and every thought of Haustin to flee her mind. She rechecked her reflection, a little surprised by the flush in her cheeks and the flutter in her stomach. Miriam had been laid to rest on Wednesday, only two days prior, and here Yael was about to attend the ballet—with Casey.