chapter forty-four

Brushing off the awkwardness of his phone call to Yael, Haustin knocked on Lindsey's door to pick Luna up for the retirement party

Brushing off the awkwardness of his phone call to Yael, Haustin knocked on Lindsey's door to pick Luna up for the retirement party. On a whim, he'd called his daughter yesterday and asked her to be his date. Her answer, along with the accompanying giggles, had made his head glow and replaced a vicious withdrawal headache. Yael lingered, though, and so did the realization it was time to set her free.

Lindsey let him in with a smile, that simple gesture reinforcing why he had to say goodbye to Yael. He was still in love with his wife. Peace settled over him, and another piece of his life clicked into place. His family would be whole again, and it soothed any pain or discomfort his recovery could send his way. He glanced to the sofa, expecting to see Miles perched in his usual spot with an Xbox controller in hand.

"Where's Miles?" he asked.

"He's spending the night over at Jessup's. They're planning to set up a tent and camp in the backyard."

"Really?"

Lindsey smiled. "Out of character?"

"A bit. He always seems more into video games, computers, and Star Wars than camping."

"They have a telescope."

"Makes sense now."

"Luna's almost done, but I have something for you." She walked over to the dining table they'd had since getting married. The Thanksgiving dinners and game nights felt like a different life—one he could finally look back on and not spiral into shame. He just missed it, desperately. Lindsey picked up a manila envelope and handed it to him. "I should have given you these months ago. You're not the only one who held onto ghosts."

Unsure, he opened it and extracted stiff, legal documents. "The divorce papers? You signed them?" Grief hit him, an icy wave of denial. He wouldn't let this happen. "Why?"

"I figured a year was long enough to hold onto them." Lindsey drew closer and laid a hand on his, the one trembling under the emotional weight of the papers he held. "I forgive you, Haustin. This was caused by circumstances beyond our control, and thanks to you, I understand now. I just hope, for our kids' sake, we can still be friends."

"You make it sound so simple. Forgive and move on."

"It is. I know you blame yourself, but listen to me, I'm a big girl."

Haustin grasped onto the warm glow of hope still inside him. "What if I don't turn these in?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are we really done? Are we gone?"

"Haustin." She sounded shocked.

"Lindsey, this is us. Are we ready to give up?"

"Do you realize what you're asking?"

"One hundred percent. Our family has been broken for too long."